Comictagger Warning

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Comictagger Warning

Post by evilhero »

RG9400 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:56 am Just an update here, I have tried multiple times to get a hold of the dev across a few different mediums so that he can build the Python 38 wheel for Windows. I could not get a hold of him, and I could not build the wheel myself because it would keep failing (something about a missing raros.hpp). To fix that issue is beyond my programming knowledge, so I ditched it.

I don't have very high hopes of unrar-cffi being fixed or maintained by at least the original dev, unless they are just taking a very long hiatus.
Yeah not sure about how reliant the unrar-cffi dependency will be updated going forward based on the lack of updates to 3.8x.

Plus with alot of dependency problems compiling even on non-windows machines, I might go back to using the libunrar library instead of the unrar-cffi (which is just a wrapper for unrar but in C++ so it's mucho faster)....have to debate the pros/cons of each I think.
RG9400

Post by RG9400 »

Any further thoughts on this? The dev did get back to me saying he would look into it, but that was over 2 months ago with no visible progress. I tried building the wheel for Python 3.8 myself a few different ways, but I have no idea how it's actually working, and it kept failing due to some compatibility issue or something.
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Yeah actually. I revisited this a few days ago after some other people were having problems installing unrar-cffi on a *nix based OS - it's really been troublesome and I'm not even sure of the added benefit over libunrar.

So, I removed the dependency from the custom CT version bundled within Mylar. Which means that the requirements.txt would no longer need to have unrar-cffi within it, which should alleviate a tonne of problems that users have been having with it (well hopefully at least).

I should be able to push it into python3-dev either today at some point, or at the latest tomorrow.
RG9400

Post by RG9400 »

Awesome! Thanks a ton
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Just an FYI, the PR (#358)to remove unrar-cffi is now in the queue to go into the python3-dev branch soon.

Once it's live, you don't need to have unrar-cffi installed for tagging to work, but you do need to have the unrar binary somewhere on your OS that's available to be used (same as it was in Mylar2).
kanine

Post by kanine »

This issue has recently come up again for me. As this thread came up #1 in a google search I thought I'd post my solution here in case it helps someone.

First make sure this setting is in config.ini [Metatagging]

Code: Select all

ct_settingspath = <your_install_folder>\mylar3
Then I configured the following in the settings file for comictagger, as I assume most would have SABnzbd installed this should work:

rar_exe_path = C:\Program Files\SABnzbd\win\unrar\x64\UnRar.exe
I also added that folder to my PATH in my launch script for good measure.

mylarr: v0.7.0
Python Version : 3.9.10

Thanks again to the devs for all the hard work that goes into this, apologies for adding to the github thread.
diesel

Post by diesel »

kanine wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:13 am First make sure this setting is in config.ini [Metatagging]

ct_settingspath = <your_install_folder>\mylar3
Your ct_settingspath should be pointing to the .Comictagger folder inside the mylar folder, not to the mylar folder itself.

ct_settingspath = <your_install_folder>\mylar3\.ComicTagger
kanine

Post by kanine »

diesel wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:20 am Your ct_settingspath should be pointing to the .Comictagger folder inside the mylar folder, not to the mylar folder itself.
Doesn't that depend on what you've set as the path for the comictagger settings folder? Which I've set to the root as suggested by EH previously? I have no .Comictagger folder, probably due to the setting the config.ini I posted.