Comictagger Warning

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
kanine

Comictagger Warning

Post by kanine »

Getting the following error message on a fresh install of Mylar3:

Code: Select all

WARNING :: mylar.run.108 : CP Server Thread-7 : [META-TAGGER][WARNING] Make sure that you are using the comictagger included with Mylar.
Under Post-Processing tab I have Enable Post-Processing ticked, in MetaTagging the following options are ticked Enable Metadata Tagging, Write ComicRack (cr) tags (ComicInfo.xml), Write ComicBookLover (Cbl) tags (zip comment), Overwrite existing cbz tags (if they exist)

A Comicvine API key has been also been set.

I notice the package unrar-cffi is having errors installing after trying all the requirements one by one. I installed the Visual Studio Build tools as hinted in the logs but that didn't help.

Any ideas or is this something I can just ignore?

Version: 966f1754ba798fa23a4227917fcd076505c09ba4 (python3-dev)
Python 3.8.1
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Comictagger Warning

Post by evilhero »

If I remember correctly, Windows doesn't build for python 3.8+ as the wheel/pip hasn't been done by the creator as of yet. So the only fix is to downgrade to the latest 3.7.x python and then try the pip requirements again and it should all install at that point.

This compile problem for unrar-cffi only affects Windows machines running Python 3.8+ - it will compile the latest fine on Linux/Mac machines.
kanine

Post by kanine »

Thanks for that, downgraded to 3.7.6 and is all working fine now, and comictagging magic has been restored.

Awesome stuff really appreciate the effort.
kanine

Post by kanine »

Last edited by kanine on Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
kanine

Post by kanine »

Comictagger was working fine but I've now started to get errors again as below, the folder referred to does exist but there is no settings.py in that folder.

Code: Select all

07-Mar-2020 15:23:48 - INFO :: mylar.run.206 : CP Server Thread-8 : b'Traceback (most recent call last):\r\n  File "D:\\Apps\\mylar3\\comictagger.py", line 4, in <module>\r\n    ctmain()
  File "D:\\Apps\\mylar3\\lib\\comictaggerlib\\main.py", line 41, in ctmain
      SETTINGS = ComicTaggerSettings(opts.configfolder)
        File "D:\\Apps\\mylar3\\lib\\comictaggerlib\\settings.py", line 150, in __init__
           self.load()\r\n  File "D:\\Apps\\mylar3\\lib\\comictaggerlib\\settings.py", line 184, in load
             readline_generator(codecs.open(self.settings_file, "r", "utf8")))
               File "C:\\Users\\me\\AppData\\Local\\Programs\\Python\\Python37\\lib\\codecs.py", line 904, in open
                   file = builtins.open(filename, mode, buffering)
                     PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: \'C:\\\\Users\\\\me\\\\.ComicTagger\\\\settings\
07-Mar-2020 15:23:48 - INFO :: mylar.run.207 : CP Server Thread-8 : None
07-Mar-2020 15:23:48 - WARNING :: mylar.run.256 : CP Server Thread-8 : [META-TAGGER][COMIC-TAGGER][CBR-TO-CBZ] Failed to convert cbr to cbz - check permissions on folder : D:\Apps\mylar3\cache and/or the location where Mylar is trying to tag the files from.
Version: 5eb04975a2faabce789b804d5a3a419cbd6246b3 (python3-dev)
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Looks like a windows-only type of problem again (surprise, surprise right)

Easy fix for this is to specify where you want ComicTagger to create it's settings folder. Because you don't have one specified, it tries to generate one in the user's home directory which in this case it appears you don't have permission to write to (which is probably normal for WIndows security and creating folders at the root level).

Anyways, under the [Metatagging] section in your config.ini, find the ct_settingspath variable - set it to the data_dir location for your Mylar insance just to be safe (ie. ct_settingspath = D:\Apps\mylar3). Note - there might be an additional ct_settingspath in your [General] section, if so just go ahead and delete it.

I'll try and get a patch out for the windows default path location in the next little while....
kanine

Post by kanine »

Thanks again, yeah sorry maybe I should look into running in the Linux subsystem of Windows, not something I've every tried but might be a good challenge.

Anyway your fix worked perfectly, and yes that setting was in [General] and [MetaTagging], it had the offensive setting under General, and in MetaTagging it was set to none. Changed it to my Mylar install folder and it works fine again.
anorak

Post by anorak »

Created an account just to vent my frustrations on this. As a computer noob, it clearly stated that Mylar3 was most heavily tested with 3.8.1. So I assumed that it would be the recommended version to install Mylar with. But after 2 hours of trying to install unrar-cffi, which is apparently needed by Mylar3, as stated in requirements.txt, I find out that unrar-cffi does not have a version out for 3.8.x. If so, how was this extensively tested with 3.8.1? I did read the following bullet point about 3.8 not being compatible BUT I assumed that 3.8.1 was the exemption since it apparently was the most tested version.
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Anorak, it's literally the next physical point below the 3.8.1 testing note - saying that Windows will not work on 3.8+ due to dependency issues, which by most people's definition would mean anything above 3.8+, as there was no specific indication of 3.8.1 not working. If there were to be a possible exemption it would obviously have been noted within the readme documentation.

The devs use linux primarily and use 3.8.1 for the most consistency - so anything outside of that is tested against as we have the resources or is brought to our attention by users. We can't possibly test for every variation/combination of python and operating system - we don't get paid to do this, it's a hobby for all of us, a passion for some, and an occupier of time during these days of the ZombieApocalypse most assuredly.

The unrar-cffi is a dependency of ComicTagger that is outside of our control, and in our testing of 3.8.1 we came to realise that there is no unrar-cffi built for windows using python3.8+ (the unrar-cffi library is actually built by the ComicTagger author, so no clue as to why he hasn't done that).

We can do our due-diligence and test if python is above a certain version and if it's on a Windows-based OS and crap-out the program, but part of the onus is on the user with the understanding that they've read the documentation in full if they're wanting to use the program with any degree of success.
RG9400

Post by RG9400 »

Just an update here, I have tried multiple times to get a hold of the dev across a few different mediums so that he can build the Python 38 wheel for Windows. I could not get a hold of him, and I could not build the wheel myself because it would keep failing (something about a missing raros.hpp). To fix that issue is beyond my programming knowledge, so I ditched it.

I don't have very high hopes of unrar-cffi being fixed or maintained by at least the original dev, unless they are just taking a very long hiatus.