Questions About Importing

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
CardcaptorRLH85

Questions About Importing

Post by CardcaptorRLH85 »

I'm having an issue with importing my existing library into Mylar. Do I have to manually rename my files in order to make them work with Mylar? For example, there's a Manga in my collection called Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii. I have it stored in a folder of the same name in my library. The current filename of its first volume is "[FS] Soredemo Vol 1.cbz" but, when I try to perform an import, I see "[FS] (v1)" under Comic Name. That continues for all of the first five volumes and then I see "[FS] Soredemo" as another entry under Comic Name but this one doesn't seem to have any files associated with it?

Am I doing something wrong? Should I import each comic folder individually rather than trying to import the entire library at once? I'm certain that I'm just confused about how this program operates in comparison to the other *arr type systems. Thanks for any help you can give me here.
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Questions About Importing

Post by evilhero »

Mylar works with comics, not really manga. They aren't the same, especially in regards to naming conventions and Mylar is built to use ComicVine which is primarily western-based comics.
While CV has manga, the use of Mylar with it will have intermittent success and one that we generally don't recommend or really support as you'll probably have more problems than not that almost always comes down to naming conventions used.

And before it's asked, cause it usually is at this point, Mylar will never accomodate manga-based conventions due to the complexity in addition to western-based naming. We have zero-interest in pursuing anything related to such.

The importer will not work with TPB's, GNs or any file without an issue number. While the rest of Mylar will work with such items (searching, adding, post-processing, etc), the import module has yet to be updated to accomodate the changes that are already in the other functions of the program. We have a refactor nearing completion, but unfortunately other items have taken precedence over it and atm has been pushed back abit.

If you're trying to import items like TPB's, or GNs - your best bet currently is to add the series manually to Mylar and then do a manual post-processing on the files in order to get Mylar to move them into the correct location and recognize them. You can also add the series manually, and then manually drop the files into the series directory and do a Recheck Files on the series page in order to get Mylar to pick them up. Note that in both the above aspects it might work with manga with no issue numbers that are on CV, but the naming of said files has to be exactly as it is on CV or else it won't pick it up.

Also, there is a greasemonkey add on that will allow you to add series into mylar directly from the CV website (it's in the FAQ section).

Not sure if all that helps or not lol.
CardcaptorRLH85

Re: Questions About Importing

Post by CardcaptorRLH85 »

Thanks for the inforrmation about the limitations of this program. I guess this gives me a reason to split my Manga and Comics into separate libraries as I should have done years ago.