qBittorrent & Download Path Issue

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
commonmind

qBittorrent & Download Path Issue

Post by commonmind »

Having multiple issues with a fresh install of Mylar3.

First, I'm not quite wrapping my head around why issues are skipped, and I need to manually go into each one and click the search icon in order to download them. Is there any way to automate this process?

Second, despite all of my torrent indexers passing the tests in settings, looking at the logs it appears as if none of them are finding files, despite personally confirming they're available on those trackers and the torrent categories are set properly (usually to 8000 or 7030).

In a single case where it did find a file, it couldn't send that file to qBittorrent, despite the connection page giving me the greenlight that the connection was successful; this install is working with Radarr and Sonnar as well, is set up with the correct categories, etc.

On the occasion that I was able to download a book (using GetComics), it does not respect the folder I entered for tracking books, but instead adds them to my Mylar3 cache folder in /appdata/mylar3/config/cache. It properly creates the download folders in /data/media/comics as the destination, so not sure what's happening there. Is this specific to the DDL settings, and if so is there anyway to change this to something other than /config/cache? (I'm guess manually editing the config.ini is the only option here?)

In general are there some solid guides/walkthroughs on how to set this up properly? Or I may be just misunderstanding the approach here. Coming from Radarr and Sonarr, my assumption was to add books from search, and the rest is an automated process. If that's not the strategy here maybe some better insight is in order; but if it is I'm certainly doing something wrong on my end.

As an aside, wondering how to set up folder structures where I can move series of books into single directories, like Spawn books into "Spawn" rather than each set of books going into a separate folder like "Spawn (2016)." Is this only done via the "Edit Settings" tab on the comic search feature?

Pastebin of the logs: https://pastebin.com/45uFs2Er

Care Package: https://drive.athomedisk.com/d/s/kt5dWW ... rjAZsQHzwg
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: qBittorrent & Download Path Issue

Post by evilhero »

First, I'm not quite wrapping my head around why issues are skipped, and I need to manually go into each one and click the search icon in order to download them. Is there any way to automate this process?
You need to go into the Configuration section within Mylar, go to the Advanced tab and then make sure that the Automatically Mark Upcoming Issues as Wanted is checked off - this will mark any Upcoming issues as Wanted. If you want to mark any issue that's marked as Skipped as Wanted by default whenever you add a series, you would need to check off the Automatically Mark All Issues as Wanted.

Second, despite all of my torrent indexers passing the tests in settings, looking at the logs it appears as if none of them are finding files, despite personally confirming they're available on those trackers and the torrent categories are set properly (usually to 8000 or 7030).
This is probably due to how torrent indexers name their torrents. They are habitually just horrendously labelled with no consistency to the naming, so it makes automated parsing almost impossible - the exception being probably ettv since that releases individual issues. But sites like TPB, IPT, etc - I would guess that it's the naming that's the problem. For Mylar to correctly identify something to download it has to be titled as per ComicVine (or how Mylar displays the title - same thing), and from experience, the torrent naming is usually not even close, or has stuff like +1 Annuals ripped by MuthaTruckah (you get the idea)...

In a single case where it did find a file, it couldn't send that file to qBittorrent, despite the connection page giving me the greenlight that the connection was successful; this install is working with Radarr and Sonnar as well, is set up with the correct categories, etc.
It probably depends on the version of qbit you're using - since there's been some issues with it in the past, but last we checked it was working fine. You probably would have to share any relevant log files in order for us to see what's happening.

On the occasion that I was able to download a book (using GetComics), it does not respect the folder I entered for tracking books, but instead adds them to my Mylar3 cache folder in /appdata/mylar3/config/cache. It properly creates the download folders in /data/media/comics as the destination, so not sure what's happening there. Is this specific to the DDL settings, and if so is there anyway to change this to something other than /config/cache? (I'm guess manually editing the config.ini is the only option here?)
When using the DDL option, Mylar will temporarily download the given items into your cache folder - once it has finished downloading, it will then 'post-process' the items automatically from that location into your series folder location, and then clean up the files thereafter. It's required that it downloads them to a temporary location as with DDL there are sometimes packs, and it has to unzip them, etc - so it needs the temporary location usable that's not the final location. You can however change the location if you want, by providing the full directoy path location to the ddl_location variable within the config.ini

As an aside, wondering how to set up folder structures where I can move series of books into single directories, like Spawn books into "Spawn" rather than each set of books going into a separate folder like "Spawn (2016)." Is this only done via the "Edit Settings" tab on the comic search feature?
You can't move multiple volumes into a single directory - due mainly to how users have so varied of naming conventions for their issues, it would make it almost impossible to differentiate issues based on just filename parsing alone. You would end up getting multiple hits for the same issue across the board (as Mylar assumes everything in the directory belongs to that particular series, multiple series in one directory would just confuse tf out of it).
However, you could manually go in after the fact and create a "Spawn" directory above the Spawn series folders locations, move the relevant series folders under the new "Spawn" folder, and then go into Mylar and edit the Series paths so that the new folder is included in the path. Mylar would then monitor that folder location thereafter.
commonmind

Re: qBittorrent & Download Path Issue

Post by commonmind »

This is probably due to how torrent indexers name their torrents. They are habitually just horrendously labelled with no consistency to the naming, so it makes automated parsing almost impossible - the exception being probably ettv since that releases individual issues. But sites like TPB, IPT, etc - I would guess that it's the naming that's the problem. For Mylar to correctly identify something to download it has to be titled as per ComicVine (or how Mylar displays the title - same thing), and from experience, the torrent naming is usually not even close, or has stuff like +1 Annuals ripped by MuthaTruckah (you get the idea)...
I think, in general, it is likely better to use newsgroups for Mylar (I've shied away from them for many years, used to use Giganews and Forte Agent, but it's been well over a decade and a little overwhelmed by the current breadth of options). I did not realize ETTV also had books, might be a good temporary fix.
It probably depends on the version of qbit you're using - since there's been some issues with it in the past, but last we checked it was working fine. You probably would have to share any relevant log files in order for us to see what's happening.
I added some logs to my original post; if these don't contain the data needed I can try another download and post an additional set.
When using the DDL option, Mylar will temporarily download the given items into your cache folder - once it has finished downloading, it will then 'post-process' the items automatically from that location into your series folder location, and then clean up the files thereafter. It's required that it downloads them to a temporary location as with DDL there are sometimes packs, and it has to unzip them, etc - so it needs the temporary location usable that's not the final location. You can however change the location if you want, by providing the full directoy path location to the ddl_location variable within the config.ini
The issue here is that the cleanup process is not happening. I'm not sure if the care package helps identify failures on my side of setting up the options properly, as this very well may be the case, but I believe most of the options are as recommended. I'm not too worried about the directory path if the cleanup works, but right now that's not the case.
You can't move multiple volumes into a single directory - due mainly to how users have so varied of naming conventions for their issues, it would make it almost impossible to differentiate issues based on just filename parsing alone. You would end up getting multiple hits for the same issue across the board (as Mylar assumes everything in the directory belongs to that particular series, multiple series in one directory would just confuse tf out of it).

However, you could manually go in after the fact and create a "Spawn" directory above the Spawn series folders locations, move the relevant series folders under the new "Spawn" folder, and then go into Mylar and edit the Series paths so that the new folder is included in the path. Mylar would then monitor that folder location thereafter.
I think it may just be best to organize within my reader app; it seems like the method above is a good solution for OCD users, but I think what you're really saying is that it's not necessarily designed that way, and not really required since most of us are going to just use our apps to organize these series. I agree. I'm not sure I need to keep a clean file structure on what is essentially just a repository for the files and not the main method of consumption.