Folder format issues

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
qubidt

Folder format issues

Post by qubidt »

The "Folder Format" setting seems to not respect the $Type parameter. Currently, I have set:

Code: Select all

$Publisher/$Series $VolumeN $Type ($Year)
But $Type doesn't seem to work. Such that adding ECHO (2008) TPB, for example, puts it in:

Abstract Studio/ECHO (2008)
instead of the expected

Abstract Studio/ECHO TPB (2008)
But there's also a ECHO (2008) series. So adding both overlaps their directories (including the cover.jpg/cvinfo/series.json files) and will move the wrong files if changing the `Directory Location` option of either one.

Also, imprint comics get placed in $Publisher, and the only variables suggested by the tooltip are: $Series, $Year, $Annual, $VolumeY, $VolumeN, $Type. So Icon comics get placed under "Marvel Comics/..."

My questions are:
  1. Did I identify an actual bug in the directory setting? Is there a workaround?
  2. $Annual seems to suffer the same thing, IIRC
  3. The Force-Type option doesn't seem to support all the available book types (e.g. HC)
  4. How are imprints' publishers identified? Is it part of the CV API?
  5. Is there a way to use $Imprint (if available) rather than $Publisher?
  6. Is there a publication reason for "Marvel Comics" as the imprint publisher rather than the non-imprint "Marvel"?
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Folder format issues

Post by evilhero »

$Type becomes available when you enable the format_booktype option in the config.in (set it to True). This will eventually change to a GUI option once the new file-rename / preview system comes into place.

$Annual will only be applied if the given issue is an Annual. If you have annual integration enabled, this won't apply for folders, but only for files (since the folders would be named after the series and the annual files would be dumped there). If you have some other problem related to the $Annual tag, please indicate exactly what's happening and possibly provide a debug log showing the directory creation.

$Force_Type is a general declaration - it's mean to be inclusive of anything related - as in TBP/HC/Compendiums. I realize that the naming is not inclusive, but the more variations we have in naming different booktypes the more exclusions have to be made throughout various modules within Mylar to accomodate the settings. There is no 'booktype' field within CV - it's all based off of descriptions and they're far from being consistent. Adding the 'HC' tag might be able to get done at some point, but atm everything TPB, GN , Comps (which are basially HC anyways since they're almost always omnibus') all fall under TPB.

Imprints aren't part of the CV api at all. CV tends to throw imprints up as publishers in some cases, but usually just leaves the parent as the actual publisher and ignores imprint altogether and just leaves it at that. Mylar uses a separate github repo that holds all the imprints, parent publishers and their respective publication dates. Mylar uses the information from CV when referencing the imprint repo to determine if it was published during that specific timeframe and if CV makes mention of the imprint anywhere. If it does, it gets tagged with the respective imprint value within Mylar.

$imprint isn't available atm - mainly because I wasn't 100% sure how the imprint lookup feature would work out and didn't want to be messing up everyone's established directory structures. Once we can determine it's working fine, and it's matching things up properly (from what I've seen it seems to be doing a pretty decent job) - we can make the option available therein.

All publisher-related information comes from CV - the imprint portion was a separate entity where the data was collected from. We can look into changing it so that it's just Marvel instead of Marvel Comics in order to correlate with CV naming, although the actual name of the publisher is in fact Marvel Comics, not Marvel (as that's the parent company which holds all the other ventures underneath).
qubidt

Post by qubidt »

Thank you, that's very helpful. I thought I

I didn't know about the format_booktype, thank you.

Re: $Annual, that makes sense. I forgot about how annuals are handled/detected. I do have integration enabled, so those are just stored in the series directory. And for annuals that aren't detected (e.g. Spider-Man '98) obviously it wouldn't know to tag it. There's no way to manually attach an annual to a series, right? Or at least in the current iteration of the import system.

And you're totally right about Marvel Comics. I think there shouldn't be separate "Marvel" and "Marvel Comics", but in this case the CV name is the one that's incorrect. Perhaps the solution should be to map "Marvel" to "Marvel Comics" as well, although it seems like the current system is only set up to handle imprints and not arbitrary mappings, so IDK how big of an ask this is.

I'll keep the Force-Type behavior in mind. I notice that forcing the type also updates the type in series.json file, which is what motivated me to ask about this setting. As it is, there's no way to set the correct booktype in the json if it is not included in this list (GN/HC/etc.).

I just found github issue #460, which explains what you said here. Sorry for not searching more thoroughly before asking about it. I see that "Once it's enabled, any change on the Edit Settings tab will also cause a rename of the existing folder" still applies.
  1. Is there any way to make the directory format only be applied for newly added comics? I want to avoid the overlapping directories but I don't want to affect manually renamed directories. If not, would a PR that makes this behavior optional be welcome?
  2. Making changes to the comic settings will rename the series but it will not update series.json until the series.json button is manually pressed.
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

When you have annual integration enabled, you'll see a ComicID text box with a green arrow in the lower right corner where the 'annuals' section is. This allows you to manually enter in any valid ComicID from CV and it will attach it to the overall series. You don't need to add the 4050- portion, just the ComicID itself is enough (60439 in your example). When it's done (I believe you have to refresh the page after to make it up to date due to some wonky calls), you'll see the series listed at the top and the issue in the details.

Unfortunately there's no separation btwn IDs on the annuals section of the series detail page - altho that's coming shortly whereby each 'volume' that's attached as an annual will have it's own section within the annuals table so you can see what issue number goes with what particular annual volume. As far as importing and detecting it no - not in the current iteration and doing something like that automatically is a bit of a doozy.

The only problem with remapping existing publisher names like Marvel is that it has to go back over an rename existing structures, tagging, json files etc. And while we can just say 'going forward', it will cause some separation and issues in doing so that will be unavoidable. I'll have to think on this one abit and see if we can work it into the imprint json that Mylar currently uses to force a publisher mapping - but yeah...need some time or more thinking on it.

Well brought up about the series.json and the automatically transferred booktype field. Based on that alone we should be open to allow for future mappings of the booktype field. There's a bunch of other stuff on my plate atm in regards to trying to get some new features / bug fixes all rolled out before they kill me - but this one should be on there too somewhere, especially since I've made a play to try and push the series.json thing out there as much as possible.

Is there any way to make the directory format only be applied for newly added comics? I want to avoid the overlapping directories but I don't want to affect manually renamed directories. If not, would a PR that makes this behavior optional be welcome?
If you're going into the Edit Settings and changing values, then yeah it will use your Folder Format string and rename the
existing directory based on the new values & the string values. Not exactly ideal when you're manually entering directory locations. We should be able to add in something that allows for priority of using an existing path over renaming an existing path somehow.

Making changes to the comic settings will rename the series but it will not update series.json until the series.json button is manually pressed. 
Will have to update that so when the Update Settings is ticked and the booktype field changes (or the Continuing, Age Rating and Volume fields too I guess), then we can update the json.