X-Men hyphen issue when processing

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
Tippon

X-Men hyphen issue when processing

Post by Tippon »

I've been having an issue when importing comics with punctuation in the name, using the importer from the Manage > Scan Comic Library page. If the comic title includes punctuation, it can't be found on Comic Vine. Hyphens seem to be the most problematic and easiest to reproduce.

I manually downloaded three issues of X-Men/Avengers: Onslaught - https://comicvine.gamespot.com/x-menave ... 50-125823/. I chose these purely because I've had consistent problems with X-Men comics and these were well seeded. The comic was not in my watchlist, but the Auto-add new series option is ticked, as is Folder for each series, Move files, and Rename files.

I put them into my monitored folder, clicked the scan button, then went through the import results management page to import them. While the files were names as X-Men, mylar seemed to find all the details from Comic Vine, but couldn't match the comic. I clicked flush all imports, went back to the Manage page, swapped to my file manager to remove the hyphen, and repeated the process in Mylar. The files were now named X Men.

This time all three issues were matched and processed perfectly.

I've uploaded my debug log here Debug Log and my care package here Care Package

Ironically, almost immediately after I turned off debug logging, I had an error in the Mylar terminal window that didn't show up in the log. I copied and pasted it into a file here Error Message and included the log from either side of it here Full Log

Let me know if there's anything else you need :)
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: X-Men hyphen issue when processing

Post by evilhero »

If that's the series you're trying to import - the problem lies in the fact that it's a TPB. if it's other x-men series (I haven't looked at the carepackage yet), it's probably due to how CV has their numbering system setup - the volume numbering must match up to what CV has, as well as the numbering. If either of those are off, then it won't match up.

The importer, in it's current iteration doesn't support / recognize TPB/GNs or One-Shots if the files do not include an issue number therein. Typically TPBs and GNs don't have an issue number - but One-Shots in some cases happen to have one, in which case those would be fine to be imported ( I think ).

The importer is the original version - which was built prior to the inclusion of Mylar being able to handle TPBs/GNs/One-Shots etc both with and without an issue number. So while you can search / post-process / monitor / maintain series that are in those categories, you won't be able to import them via the importer.

The importer has been going thru a rewrite (as has most of Mylar TBH lately), and while it's not ready for prime-time yet mainly due to testing problems, I'm hoping to get it all out by the beginning of November. The rewrite does include support for the different booktypes, as well as some other things all of which help in the 'automatic' portion of the import process.

But until such time as that goes in, the only way to add these types of series into your watchlist is to manually add the series to your watchlist, and then move/copy said files into the series directory location that Mylar is looking for and then do a ReCheck Files and they will be picked up. If your desire is to have them renamed to the existing File Format and/or metatagged, you can perform a manual post-processing against the specific directory where those files are located and with the series being in your watchlist it will perform the normal post-processing action and move/metatag them into their final location.

Note that there is a Chrome extension that puts a Mylar icon beside the series title on CV - so you just have to click on the icon and it will add the series into your watchlist (instead of having to perform a search, or manually entering the full-comicid in the search dialog box). The extension is located on the forums here
Tippon

Post by Tippon »

Sorry, I didn't notice that they were TPBs. It happened with other X-Men series too in the same way, like this one - X-Men

If I've had any problems when importing, I've copied the name directly from the Comic Vine page, including the issue number, so in the link above the file would be named X-Men #207 (2004).cbz. It's not a major issue, but I thought it's worth making you aware of in case it causes bigger problems with other comics.
If your desire is to have them renamed to the existing File Format and/or metatagged, you can perform a manual post-processing against the specific directory where those files are located and with the series being in your watchlist it will perform the normal post-processing action and move/metatag them into their final location.
If I removed everything from my comics folder and put it in my monitored folder, then ran a manual scan, would it move and rename everything, or would 3,000+ files be too much? I've been playing with the naming conventions while I've been setting everything up, and I've got a feeling that not everything is uniform.
Note that there is a Chrome extension that puts a Mylar icon beside the series title on CV - so you just have to click on the icon and it will add the series into your watchlist (instead of having to perform a search, or manually entering the full-comicid in the search dialog box). The extension is located on the forums here
That's awesome! That's going to save me loads of time going forwards :D
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Tippon wrote: Sorry, I didn't notice that they were TPBs. It happened with other X-Men series too in the same way, like this one - X-Men

If I've had any problems when importing, I've copied the name directly from the Comic Vine page, including the issue number, so in the link above the file would be named X-Men #207 (2004).cbz. It's not a major issue, but I thought it's worth making you aware of in case it causes bigger problems with other comics.
Yeah the problem is that there's no volume indicator for Mylar - so it's probably getting confused due to the weird numbering that the X-Men series goes thru over their various volumes. If you notice on CV it's called the adjectiveless X-men Volume 1 - but it's not the Volume 1 it's looking for probably during a backend search by Mylar due to the results (meaning Volume 1 should be The X-Men, and volume 2 is just X-Men).

They spanned like 4? volumes but kept legacy numbering throughout all of them, with weird numbering mixed in there and I think they even added different volumes in there but yeah - that series is a complete sh*tshow. For those types of series, your best bet is to manually add the series and then you can try to post-process them over or move them directly into the series folders - keeping in mind that the post-processor relies heavily on volume numbering for matches so if you don't have the corresponding volume # in the filename, it won't be able to throw it into the correct directory.

If I removed everything from my comics folder and put it in my monitored folder, then ran a manual scan, would it move and rename everything, or would 3,000+ files be too much? I've been playing with the naming conventions while I've been setting everything up, and I've got a feeling that not everything is uniform.
It's not that it's too much - but if you have metatagging enabled in Mylar you'll be hitting CV's API 3000 times in order to retrieve the metadata, which might run you afoul of their API limits and cause things to just stop post-processing properly (or altogether). If you're just wanting it to move and rename them to the File Format setting, it would take a while but it should be able to move them across. It will only touch the files it can match, and as long as the files are named correctly, you shouldn't get too many false matches in that amount of files. So you could probably do them in sections - add a bunch of series, do a manual post-process, see the results. Add more series, do another scan,etc...which might cut down on the amoutn of checking you might want to do to make sure things are correct, as opposed to the whole 3000.
Tippon

Post by Tippon »

evilhero wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:20 am They spanned like 4? volumes but kept legacy numbering throughout all of them, with weird numbering mixed in there and I think they even added different volumes in there but yeah - that series is a complete sh*tshow.
Ah, that probably explains it then. Most of the series I've added have been 'new' series, starting from issue 1 rather than continuing an old series.
evilhero wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:20 am It's not that it's too much - but if you have metatagging enabled in Mylar you'll be hitting CV's API 3000 times in order to retrieve the metadata, which might run you afoul of their API limits...
...you could probably do them in sections - add a bunch of series, do a manual post-process, see the results.
Thanks for the tip. I'll do them in batches then. I've recently done the same sort of thing with my music. I've got tens of thousands of files, so I've been splitting them into a dozen or so artists at a time and processing them by albums. It's a pain in the ass to do, but it makes things much easier once it's sorted.

Now, if I can figure out why Deadpool is being an arsehole*, I'll be sorted! :D

*different series this time. Deadpool Vs. Carnage is confusing the TPB with issue 1 >.<