Folder Format Imprint value issue

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
Post Reply
Jbaâl
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:56 pm

Folder Format Imprint value issue

Post by Jbaâl »

Hi there!

I'm using the master branch, up to date (56a8469e).
I'm having issues with the Imprint value in the Folder Format (I use this format : $Publisher/[$Imprint]/$Series $VolumeN ($Year) [$Type] ).
I've read that mylar use this json to check Imprints (https://github.com/mylar3/publisher_imp ... rints.json), and it seems there's an error when the serie's year is the first or last year of the publication period of its imprint.

For example, when adding the Tangent Comics, every series from 1997 and 2008 are created in the folder "Tangent Comics" :
\Tangent Comics\Tangent Comics- Doom Patrol (1997) [One-Shot]
\Tangent Comics\Tangent Supermans Reign (2008)

And everything in between is created where it should, "DC Comics\[Tangent Comics]" :
\DC Comics\[Tangent Comics]\Tangent Comics- JLA (1998)
\DC Comics\[Tangent Comics]\Tangent Comics- Nightwing Night Force (1998) [One-Shot]

I noticed the same issues with the Maverick publications:
\Maverick\American Splendor Terminal (1999) [One-Shot]
\Maverick\American Splendor Unsung Hero (2002)
but :
\Dark Horse Comics\[Maverick]\American Splendor Bedtime Stories (2000) [One-Shot]
\Dark Horse Comics\[Maverick]\American Splendor Portrait of the Author in His Declining Years (2001) [One-Shot]

Thanks for your hard work!
User avatar
evilhero
Site Admin
Posts: 2752
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Folder Format Imprint value issue

Post by evilhero »

It took me a bit to figure out what it was that you were actually having a problem with - but then I was able to reproduce things on my end and encountered the same problem.

I've added in a month check now so that if the series being added / refreshed falls on the same start year or end year of the imprint brand according to the imprints.json file it will break it down further by comparing the cover date of first issue of the series to the start or end month/year of the imprint brand and make sure it falls within the publication range for the imprint.

The PR is here awaiting merge to the master branch, which will be at some point later today (since it's like 3am now and I'm not merging it on no sleep lol).

I also corrected a few entries in the imprints.json repo - that while don't relate to the specified imprints you've mentioned, had incorrect values. Your imprints copy will auto-update to the newlisting within 24hrs as mylar handles that.
Jbaâl
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:56 pm

Re: Folder Format Imprint value issue

Post by Jbaâl »

Ok, sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but I'm glad you fixed this issue so fast! Thanks a lot!
Jbaâl
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:56 pm

Re: Folder Format Imprint value issue

Post by Jbaâl »

I'll use this thread to report others issues :

* Some imprints are not recognized as Imprint (eg. Milestone, Malibu), but as Publisher (no subfolders created under DC or Marvel folders).

* There are still some issues with the period of the imprints. I'll take for example WildStorm, an imprint under Image from 1992 to 1999.01, then under DC from 1999.01 to 2010.12.
DV8 Annual 1999 is created with those informations :

Publication Date: March 1999
Publisher: Image
Imprint: WildStorm


It should have DC as Publisher.

* When a One-Shot is created, if it has no specification of One-Shot in the ComicVine page, the folder is created without the appropriate tag, but when I hit Update in the Edit settings tab, it is finaly added to the folder name. Example with Alan Moore's Glory Preview, adding it to my mylar create the folder :
Avatar Press\Alan Moores Glory Preview (2001)
Then when I hit Update (without changing anything on the form of Edit settings), it changes to :
Avatar Press\Alan Moores Glory Preview (2001) [One-Shot]
But this only works if the One-Shot has no Imprint value. With DV8 Rave, the folder created is :
Image\[WildStorm]\DV8 Rave (1996)
and stay the same after an update.

Thanks!
User avatar
evilhero
Site Admin
Posts: 2752
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Folder Format Imprint value issue

Post by evilhero »

The imprint month calculation I added a few days ago was taking the incorrect value so it was incorrectly determining the match (this is why you don't code at 3am I was told previously).

The One-Shot creation was due to Mylar performing some calculations in order to determine that it's actually one-shot issue as opposed to solely relying on CV for the data (which isn't provided in some cases, as you found out) after the directory was created.

The fix for both of these are in the queue to get merged into python3-dev tomorrow at some point - PR#888 is the PR if you wanted to see when it gets merged.
Jbaâl
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:56 pm

Re: Folder Format Imprint value issue

Post by Jbaâl »

Wonderful! It works! The only thing I see to have more accurate results is ComicVine using this categorization (Publisher -> Imprint), I think of cases like Amalgam comics, published by Marvel and DC during the same period.

Thanks again!
Post Reply