How do Story Arcs work?

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
Vebent

How do Story Arcs work?

Post by Vebent »

So I added a few story arcs and I click Grab, but nothing really happens. It shows the comic as wanted, but I don't see it anywhere in my wanted listed and I don't see it anywhere in my downloaded comics list. Is this something that is it's own thing separate from my library or did I configure something wrong? A couple of comics did download, but a folder wasn't created so it can be moved into it. Is there anything I need to do to get this working correctly?
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: How do Story Arcs work?

Post by evilhero »

If you want to see issues that are Wanted that are part of a Story Arc, in the config.ini you would need to set upcoming_storyarcs = True. They will then appear in the Wanted tab of Mylar for easier viewing.

In order to get Mylar to auto-search your storyarcs, in the config.ini you need to set search_storyarcs = True. The caveat in all of this is that the storyarc searching doesn't adhere to some of the safety checks that occur when you do a normal-type of search (ie. no tiered searching, so everything will go either against the api+rss, or just the rss - I can't recall which). There's probably some other things that have stopped it from being implemented fully into the GUI, but atm at least, I can't recall what they would be.

When you setup the storyarc you can specify on the Story Arc Management page whether or not a storyarc folder will be created, how it will look, and where it be located. You can also specify if Mylar is to move or copy relevant issues during post-processing into said folder. If you don't enable the Arcs in StoryArc Directory option, then it will generally throw any issues that don't belong to a watchlisted series into a general grab bag directory located in the root of your Comic Location (called appropriately 'grabbag' by default but the location can be changed via the grabbab_dir option in the config.ini).

Note that enabling the Folder option after you've already added a series won't go back and update previous storyarcs. However, if you do a Refresh Storyarc from the Story Arc Management page, or the Story Arc Detail page for the given story arc, it should update things to the new path accordingly.
Vebent

Post by Vebent »

Awesome. Thank you for all the information. This helped a lot.
phreaky

Post by phreaky »

thnx for the info on how to enble this feature.

i change everything in the config file restarted mylar but when i search for an story arc i get this...

lets say i search for the arc House of M. i get a Mako Runtime error:

Code: Select all

Error !
KeyError: 'type'
grade = 'Z' rtype = None if search_type != 'story_arc': if result['type'] == 'Digital': rtype = '[Digital]' grade = 'Z' elif result['type'] == 'TPB': rtype = '[TPB]' grade = 'Z'
C:/ProgramData/mylar3/data/interfaces/default/searchresults.html, line 58:
if result['type'] == 'Digital':
C:/ProgramData/mylar3/data/interfaces/default/base.html, line 91:
${next.body()}
C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\mako\runtime.py, line 947:
callable_(context, *args, **kwargs)
C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\mako\runtime.py, line 920:
_exec_template(inherit, lclcontext, args=args, kwargs=kwargs)
C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\mako\runtime.py, line 883:
**_kwargs_for_callable(callable_, data)
C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\mako\template.py, line 473:
return runtime._render(self, self.callable_, args, data)
C:\ProgramData\mylar3\mylar\webserve.py, line 100:
return template.render(http_root=mylar.CONFIG.HTTP_ROOT, interface=mylar.CONFIG.INTERFACE, icons=icons, **kwargs)
is there something that i'm doing wrong or is this a bug ?
running windows 10 with python version 3.7.6
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

phreaky, this error has been fixed in the python3-dev branch but has not made it into the master branch as of yet.

Your best bet is to switch to the python3-dev branch if you're able to.

Most dockers lately allow for switching to a nightly build if you're using docker.
You can git clone directly against the python3-dev branch or just checkout the python3-dev branch if you already cloned.
You can also just redownload the source but from the python3-dev branch, not the default master.

Otherwise, you need to wait for the merge to happen which probably will be at some point this week.
phreaky

Post by phreaky »

check, thnx for your quick reply!

then ill wait for the next update just glad i finally got it up and running after trying multiple times over the last 2 years hahaha.
senorsmartypants

Post by senorsmartypants »

StoryArcs sort of work for me. I have it set up so SA will be put in my grabbag directory, and a SA directory gets created in that folder correctly. But issue don't get moved there after post processing. I can see the original download still in my cache directory. My settings in the UI are as follows:

- (unchecked) Arcs in StoryArc Directory
- (checked) [Move] watchlisted issues to grabbag directory

Carepackage https://www.file.io/WAbv/download/OJwDAbUF8lbu

I do have some post processing scripts set up, which work fine for regular series.
lkj

Post by lkj »

Did you ever get this working?

My problem is that if I have “[copy] watchlisted issues to storyarc directory” unchecked, no files get copied during post processing. If I have it checked, all files (watchlisted and one off issues) get copied.

Thanks