[How to] Install Mylar on Windows

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
FlamingPooh

[How to] Install Mylar on Windows

Post by FlamingPooh »

Notes:
I just found the below worked from searching the forums here, but it seemed like it would make sense as a how to in the FAQ section.

Python version matters apparently, newest 3.9 will not work. I just used what was suggested by another user. not sure if that means you can use 3.7.10 or 3.8

Its been a while since I've used mylar, but its pretty improved from the last time I played with it. I don't remember doing all that pip install requirements stuff but I'm glad i read that since i wasn't quite sure how to run the software without it.

When you're done the below. run mylar.py to start software...if you didn't already.
For Win10:

Download/install Python 3.7.6 [AFAIK 3.8 still has a dependency not built for Windows, but exists for Linux]
Upgrade pip [maybe not necessary?]
Install notepad++ [git for windows wants a default editor, and this is a lot better to actually use than the default vim - but I don't know if it'd actually ever get used by a Mylar user?]
Install GitHub for windows
Git clone https://GitHub.com/mylar3/mylar3 -b python3-dev C:\programdata\mylar [change install location to wherever you prefer; this will grab the latest dev repo]
Pip install -r requirement.txt [May need to run twice to skip errors ? I got two the first time, but running it again to confirm and they didn't appear]
Install nssm to setup as service/daemon

References:
Htpcguides.com/install-mylar-windows-usenet-comics/
GitHub.com/mylar3/mylar3/tree/python3-dev
viewtopic.php?p=11269#p11269

Notes:
You can skip notepad++ if you want but its useful to me either way.
You don't need Github for windows, you can just download the repo via web and do all the same things but whatever works...prob.
I did not figure out where to put that command for "git clone httpts:/.." so i just used the visual interface for github windows to clone into directory.
I didn't use nssm, i just use startup below. less software to manage...I don't think it matters

pip install -r requirements.txt is kinda the key part there. if you look at the repo after you install python there's a text file in the repo that makes it all magically work (yay dev)
Windows Startup

Start Mylar on startup (with a python console window):

- Create a shortcut to Mylar.py in your startup folder

Start Mylar on startup (with no python window):

- Rename Mylar.py to Mylar.pyw
- Create a shortcut to Mylar.pyw in your startup folder

Ensure that you turn off the setting Launch Browser on Startup so that you don't have a browser open up every time.
viewtopic.php?p=63#p63