Moving Mylar to different PC, keep library on NAS?

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
Aimhere

Moving Mylar to different PC, keep library on NAS?

Post by Aimhere »

Hi,

As the title says: I currently have Mylar (the Python 2 version) installed on my Synology NAS. But it's an older NAS, and frankly the processing speed sucks.

A few years ago, I moved all my Usenet software (except Mylar) to a Windows PC, keeping the NAS strictly for media storage.

Now, I would like to move Mylar to the Windows PC as well, but I'm unclear on the exact steps for doing so.

For one thing, Mylar on the Synology was originally installed using the SynoCommunity package (though somewhere along the line I started doing updates manually via command-line git). But I have no idea how to install Mylar on Windows. I have already installed Python 3.9, but don't know where to go from there.

Once I do get Mylar installed, how do I transfer my configuration and databases over? And how do I point it to the (now external) NAS folders?
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Moving Mylar to different PC, keep library on NAS?

Post by evilhero »

The upgrade path from Mylar2 to Mylar3 is pretty straightforward. The preferred method regardless of OS is via the git clone method - so if you can get git installed on your windows machine, then clone the mylar3 repo, you'll be much more successful when trying to perform upgrades via the GUI going forward.

Once you get Mylar3 installed (make sure to do the requirements.txt as per the github readme), you would just move over your existing config.ini and mylar.db files. You should also copy over your entire cache directory into the <mylar3>/cache location so that the covers for each series will be present - otherwise you'll have blank placeholders when viewing a series until the series is refreshed (which for hundreds of series, can be awhile obviously).

So once you have those files moved over:

- edit the config.ini file and make sure any references to linux mounts are pointing to the new location on your Windows machine (especially the log_dir option, but not the destination_dir field).
- do NOT update the ComicLocation field in the GUI to the new path location just yet (it's called destination_dir in the config.ini)
- follow the instructions here.
- as per the instructions (at the end of it), make sure to update the destination_dir in the config.ini (or ComicLocation in the GUI) so that it points to the new location path since it's on a Windows machine now.