How to turn off archiving and comic caching

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
Vebent

How to turn off archiving and comic caching

Post by Vebent »

For some reason Mylar will randomly archive certain comics and copy a bunch of them into the cache. How do I turn that off? Especially the archiving because it ends up deleting my comics.

EDIT: So it looks like it's caching the cbr files after creating a cbz file of the same comic. I have no problems with that, but is that suppose to happen?
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: How to turn off archiving and comic caching

Post by evilhero »

Mylar will only set the status of an issue to Archived if it was in a Downloaded status previously (meaning the file was scanned in). Mylar doesn't delete anything. The change to Archive status basically means the file was scanned in, but since that either the file was moved or deleted and can't be located in the location it was originally scanned in at.

If it's metatagging a file (which involves converting from cbr to cbz), it moves the file to the cache folder, converts and tags it, then moves it back to the original location (except its a cbz file at that point instead of a cbr). If you have files remaining in your cache folder, then Mylar is failing to remove them during the cleanup phase of a post-processing run - the relevant error is usually indicated in the logs, and most times it's due to incorrect permissions/ownership in the series folder location.
Vebent

Post by Vebent »

Ok. I have a lot of comics so maybe I didn't actually have them. Which is weird because Mylar will say I have a complete series because the green bar is full. Maybe I should look through each series and see for myself. Could it be a bug if that were the case? Because there's a couple of series that will say 1/2, but it's only a one-shot.

I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions. This program is actually the best program for my collection and what I use it for. I just want to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly.
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

If it's a green bar, then it's complete as far as Mylar is aware. The data comes from CV so you'd have to verify what it says on CV in regards to what issues are part of a series - if you go into the series detail page for any comic, clicking on the title of the comic will bring you to the CV page where you can compare.

Mylar will try to auto-add annuals and such (if you have the option enabled), so if that's occurring there are instances where it could attach the wrong items to the series resulting in a slightly inflated count.

Aside from that if you notice some discrepancies, you can always indicate on here which series it is you're having problems with and it can be looked into more (the comicid in the url when you're viewing a series detail page tells us what it's tied to on CV).
Vebent

Post by Vebent »

So the comics that are showing 1/2 when it's only a one-shot are

Rick and Morty Presents: Krombopulos Michael - 111690
The Batcave Companion - 56816
Rick and Morty Presents: Sleepy Gary - 113728
Superman: Endless Winter Special - 132459

CV only shows 1 issue for that comic series. Other than that I do appreciate your help. I'm going to check if auto-add annual is checked and turn that off.
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

It might have something to do with it not cleaning up the files after - Mylar will run a Recheck Files after a successful post-processing run, so it might not actually be doing that since the counts are inflated by an issue.

You can try to do a Recheck Files from the series detail page for a given series to see if that lines things up again - failing that hitting the Refresh Series button would refresh the entire series (it does a Recheck Files at the end of the refresh sequence). I'm guessing that if you do either to each of those series you listed, the counts will go back in line.

The annuals causing problems would only occur if you see annuals listed at the bottom of the series detail page (in their own section) - which only shows if there are annuals for a given series, and the annuals option is enabled (so I don't think that's the cause of the inflated counts in these cases most likely).
Vebent

Post by Vebent »

It looks like I never had that enabled. Either way, when I'm in the comic series it will show the same comic twice. It's just those comics. Everything else that's a one-shot or annual doesn't have that problem.
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

If it's just those particular series, selecting the Refresh Series option will line everything back up again. Worst case, deleting the series from Mylar (don't remove the directory when prompted), and readding it is a last resort option, but will work too if need be.

If you're post-processing issues and they're not being cleared out from the cache after, this issue count problem might occur again. If so, you're going to have to double check the ownership/perms of the directory where your comics are being stored to make sure the user running Mylar has full access to it.
Vebent

Post by Vebent »

Deleting the series (without deleting the folder) and readding it did work. Looks like it was a minor glitch. I'm glad that was cleared up.

I do want to double-check on the archive situation. Just so I understand. If it's showing as downloaded, but there's no file there, then it will archive the comic. Is that correct?
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

If it's showing the status as Downloaded, but the file doesn't exist then on the next Refresh Series / Recheck Files (which also can occur during a post-processing run, or if the series is flagged as needed an update due to CV) it will change the status from Downloaded to Archived.

Anything in a Downloaded status means the file is present and accounted for in the series location indicated. If it's in an Archived status it means that no file exists for the given issue in the series location indicated whether it was moved, deleted, w/e. Mylar doesn't touch your files physically when it's changing the status - it's simply a reflection of the availability of the file(s).