So close...

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
THespos

So close...

Post by THespos »

Hi. Total linux novice here.

I have Mylar3 running on Ubuntu 20.04. I can get it going on the command line and it will do its thing until I close my terminal window and terminate the process. So I'm trying to figure out how to run it as a service on boot, per your guide here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=47

The two files appear to be in the requisite directories. The issue I'm having is that I can't seem to find the location of the .pid. I tried looking for it in the default location, but there's not even a mylar directory there.

When I do a find -iname for the .pid, it returns an odd location of ./run/user/1000/gvfs

Putting this path in, I start the service and it pauses for a second or two, but when I visit //myserver:8090, I get nada.

Again, I can get this running from the command line, but really need to figure out how to get this going on boot. I'd be very grateful for any help.
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: So close...

Post by evilhero »

Yeah don't use that link (that's for py2 version of Mylar, and with init.d - which ubuntu 20 doesn't use).

There's a directory in the mylar3 root called init-scripts and in there, there is another directory called systemd. The read.me in there is what you want to follow for the system to start on bootup.

Just make sure (as the read.me says), to change the values for User and Group.

As well as changing the ExecStart line so that the python executable and full path to mylar is entered as per your system locations ( ie. ExecStart=/usr/bin/python3 /opt/mylar3/Mylar.py -v --daemon --nolaunch --quiet )

The init-scripts was a hacky way to get it to startup - the systemd is much cleaner to work with and understand.
THespos

Re: So close...

Post by THespos »

Thanks much. Will give it a try in a bit.

Thanks so much for making this. Even if it's hard for someone like me to get my head around, I did have it running on my Synology for a bit and I really like it.