Series name change

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
senorsmartypants

Series name change

Post by senorsmartypants »

This week the Boom! Studios series "Angel" is being renamed "Angel & Spike". I went to edit the "Angel" series already setup in mylar, clicked on Edit Settings and added an Alternate Search Name of "Angel & Spike", Clicked update. Then I went to the pull list and clicked "Recreate Pull-list". But "Angel & Spike" #9 was not marked as wanted.

Should I have done it like that (and have all the issues under one series) or will I just have to add Angel & Spike as a new series?

Thanks.
barbequesauce

Re: Series name change

Post by barbequesauce »

I see Angel has CVid 4050-19692. I don't see Angel & Spike on CV though - do you?
senorsmartypants

Post by senorsmartypants »

Not yet, but I wouldn't expect CV to be updated until sometime tomorrow for this weeks issues.
barbequesauce

Post by barbequesauce »

Makes sense. It’s largely going to depend on what they do - if they rename the same CVid, you’d use alternate file naming and alternate search naming as you’d described; if they create a new CVid, you’ll have to add the new series.

In the past this particular CVid seems to have been renamed, so you might be okay....
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Whenever there's a rename during an ongoing series, regardless of the series - they always create a new ComicID and put all the new issues under said ComicID. Adding in an alternate name might confuse things abit, since the new title is called Angel + Spike and you have an alternate search as Angel & Spike. Mylar removes the special characters during name comparisons, so that Angel & Spike will match to Angel - but because the ComicID's have changed, any new issue information won't be under the old ComicID, but the new one. So they'll never match up as the issue numbers don't exist.

In these cases, it's always best to add the new ComicID - and avoid using the Alternate Search Name field in either entry as then you might get cross-matching which would be incorrect.

At one point, there was an enhancement request to track the new ComicID's, so that when a series was being changed, upon Mylar knowing the new ComicID it would automatically add the series to your watchlist, and mark the given issue as Wanted so that from a user perspective - everything trucks along. Of course if you didn't know the series title changed, you would be wondering where these new issues were coming from. The problem in this is being able to reliably track the new ID against the old one, since nowhere in the CV API does it indicate when a series 'changes' - it's just description parsing which is never consistent across the board and makes it difficult to work with.