An error tab rather than digging through logs

Enhancement requests or feature requests for future Mylar releases.
leaderdog

An error tab rather than digging through logs

Post by leaderdog »

Hi Evilhero,

In Mylar3 could you please have a tab that gives you the basic error(s) and possible a time stamp to where it is in the logs. I often get the red "there was an error" but if I look at logs it's all kwarks and goobers and whatever else that means nothing to me.

Further, when something like this happens there is no way for me to really know what's going wrong. I had 3 pages of books stuck in loading again. I had to click the button to select all 25 and then hit refresh. I managed to get it down to a single page, but then through the day, it didn't change. I clicked on Aspen Showcase, and it's sitting there stuck trying to refresh. I hit refresh again to encourage it to do it's job. And nothing. Eventually I clicked the link to comicvine and get a 404 page not found. Now, if Mylar could have sent an error like that to a tab where I'd see oh shoot I have an error what could it be. and it said 404 page not found. I'd have realized a lot sooner that comicvine deleted that page and put the books into single issues (like it should have been in the first place)

but that's 3 pages of failed issues,(is that possibly is why my RAM usage is so high?) that I could have gotten sorted out sooner if there was an actual location for errors to be placed. I only decided to check if things were stuck in loading again because it was getting slow again.

barbequesauce

Re: An error tab rather than digging through logs

Post by barbequesauce »

Hey leaderdog -

The basic idea is interesting - basically highlight the errors that have occurred since last launch. That said, I’m not sure that it’s going to address your problem; the code doesn’t get so far as diagnosing 404s etc, only that there is a problem of some kind.

Aspirationally, it would be nice - just saying it’s a long ways away, and we have other things we’d like to add first (libgen as ddl, new story arc backend, bootstrap, etc).
leaderdog

Post by leaderdog »

Hi bbqsauce,

Interesting. There should be an error catcher for stuff like this tho. I get all kinds of errors that I have no clue are happening. Like right now I'm up over 800 megs of RAM usage. that's a 500 Meg increase from last night. I don't know why or if Mylar should ever get that high in RAM usage. It ure slows down the program.

Also I have all the files downloaded from using newsleecher, but hitting manual post-process doesn't seem to move the files.... yet they still try to download again from the usegroup. I have to turn sab off and hit post process all the time. But it won't work properly because it gets hung up on something. until I can figure out which book is choking the process, it can't continue. The program should know what killed it, and let the user know so the problem can be rectified by the user.

Just to clarify. I have to open the logs in notepad++ clear all that's in there save it. Hit manual-post process and wait. I then have to comb through the logs until I find an error. Then I take that file out of the folder and restart manual post process because it kills itself when there is an error. So if there was an error tab that spit out the error on which book was the problem (it should just ignore that error and continue running but it doesn't appear to do that yet). And since I don't know there an error because Mylar doesn't tell you. Nothing happens after a post process run so you don't know what's going on.

Meanwhile, while the manual post process is running Mylar is still doing it's normal check of files, which is good, however, that's an insane amount of text to comb through while it continues to add lines of text. Regardless, something needs to be done since it is quite a frustrating experience to deal with. Whether you maintain two separate logs, or like I suggest an error catcher to ignore errors to finish a task or an error tab to let you know something actual went wrong so you can go directly to the problem to fix it.

The only way I can get the RAM situation in check is to restart Mylar.

I Haven't migrated to Mylar3... should I do that? and how do you keep the existing database and downloaded info (cache) without having to start all over again?
Telecart

Post by Telecart »

barbequesauce wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:38 am libgen as ddl
ooooo yes please