Integrate a comic server within mylar

Enhancement requests or feature requests for future Mylar releases.
FrankBlack

Integrate a comic server within mylar

Post by FrankBlack »

There are a few media server protocols out there, but they are either closed source (comicrack, ubooquity) or not supported anymore like comicstreamer. Mylar already knows what comics you have, so why not have a media server built in. Could even start with comicstreamer API. What do you think?
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Integrate a comic server within mylar

Post by evilhero »

Bluntly - lack of time, support and motivation.

I don't have the time to devote to making a comic server within the program. Support for that additionally as well as supporting mylar itself would be alot. I am but one - there is no team, and I'm not allowed a secretary (wife says hell no).

There's a lot going on within mylar that it's trying to do and some of it does well, other parts not so much. It's a downloader / manager first and foremost, adding more to that simply blurs the lines and makes things more difficult to manage. Comicrack and ubooquity focus on what they do for a reason, no need to add another into the mix.
ben

Post by ben »

I understand that turning your software into a swiss army knife will only create more bugs and change requests but the THREE most popular comic book softwares all seem to have come to a halt in development.

Mylar - For search and Download
Ubooquity - For Access, Serving and reading
ComicRack - For Management

Of the three, Mylar is the most current and functional.
Ubooquity is the Yin to Mylar's Yang but it's rough and needs works, if it could b integrated into the Mylar package would put it way above anything available.

ComicRack is Feature rich (too much so) and offers the Meta Data compiling that completes the trifecta for any Media Management.

Packages like SickRage and Couchpotate offer similar features. Is there any way to implement these features?

Maybe soliciting assistance from the creator of those softwares in a combined effort would be an possibility?
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

The main problem (aside from time), is that both ComicRack and Ubooquity are programmed in a different language - so there would be no clean way to integrate that directly. And both don't offer any type of cli/api access (as of yet anyways) that would allow for options to be used within Mylar. Without having some sort of way to integrate like that, it makes things almost impossible to get right given how many different configurations users have in regards to any aspect of the 3 applications (that being said, the one thing I would love and have talked about quite abit is to integrate in a fully functional metadata editor within Mylar and in doing so - a new metadata format that is more dynamic than the existing ones).

Mylar has recently added in an OPDS server as well thanks to a young gent named Destron - you might want to check that out ;)

Plus, and again this is the biggest part - my time and interest. There's a crapload of stuff within Mylar that has to be supported as it is (all the torrent clients, nzb downloaders, providers, options, arcs, etc), and I am but one (there are a few peeps that help when they can tho too - they know who they is). Responding to issues, and troubleshooting support when people are having even the simplest of errors takes time, which takes away from other things. Heck there's stuff in Mylar that I haven't gotten around to correcting/improving in a very long time (I'm looking at your story arcs) just because there's always something else that requires my attention. Adding in a reader/tagging system, would be a huge undertaking, and if I'm being honest here - I believe a vast majority of users would prefer to have Mylar support Graphic Novels, Trade PaperBacks and Compendium's, before adding in such a system.

Now if you're considering Mylar one of the three that have halted in dev - well, itself and ubooquity are under constant development. Just because there isn't an update every other day doesn't mean it's not being worked on in some fashion - I can't speak for the ubooquity dev of course. Alot of our due diligence when it comes to things like this is to try and make sure things will work when it gets to one of the branches, which requires alot of testing and refactoring of code. This is just a hobby for myself, and as such the time I spend on Mylar can vary from day to day depending on personal commitments and just having a life.

There comes a point unfortunately when one has to know the limits of things - Mylar has always been a downloader & management tool. Expanding that into reader/meta brings it into a whole other realm, and I'm not quite sure I want to traverse down that road as of yet (at least the reader part - since meta would fall under management).
Destron

Post by Destron »

Mylar DOES now contain an OPDS server, that will work with any comic reader that supports OPDS (In theory) So it's a step in that direction, but there's no web client or anything. Once I get the OPDS to send individual pages from a book, I may look into incorporating a web viewer that can access the OPDS server. It may be a standalone, but it would definitely be written with Mylar in mind.
lostkt87

Post by lostkt87 »

Just curious, I see where to enable opds. But how do I connect to it once it is checked. I’m probably missing something. I’m new to the whole opds. I’m trying a new app that has opds support. But I can’t find the opds server. Like I said I probably have something wrong.

Thank you for your time.
bonesloko

Post by bonesloko »

I couldn't find any documentation about OPDS support either. Through trial and error I finally discovered the URL. It's http://[YOUR SERVER URL]:[MYLAR PORT]/opds

Feature Suggestion

Display the OPDS URL as inline text below the enable OPDS section.

Example

[OPDS SECTION]

OBDS URL: http://192.168.1.100:8090/opds
DrSeussFreak

Post by DrSeussFreak »

so this is too funny, as I was coming to the forums today to ask for the same thing. Chunky Reader (iOS) has a beta for a completely new version of the app. With this new version, Mike, the developer, has created a ChunkyServer app for Mac and PC (Linux as well), to allow live access to a server to grab books.

I was coming over to here today to see if you would be interested in creating a server option (he supports OPDS and SFTP among others), so we could pull our books to his app directly.
"Adults are nothing but obsolete children, and the hell to them" - Theodor Seuss Geisel
barbequesauce

Post by barbequesauce »

Heh... and I've been mentioning that Mylar does OPDS in the slack channel...

I'll add in the tooltip as bonesloko describes... good idea.