Changing folder structure?

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
Zefrem23

Changing folder structure?

Post by Zefrem23 »

Hi folks, quick question, I've noticed that as I'm adding more and more comics, the main publisher folders are filling up with the variants of each title, for example my Marvel folder has all these Captain Marvel folders (using the out of the box folder style):

Captain Marvel (1968)
Captain Marvel (1995)
Captain Marvel (2000)
Captain Marvel (2002)
Captain Marvel (2012)
Captain Marvel (2014)
Captain Marvel (2016)
Captain Marvel (2017)

I'd much prefer to have

Marvel/Captain Marvel/v1 1968/Captain Marvel v1 001 (1968).cbr
Marvel/Captain Marvel/v1 1968/Captain Marvel v1 002 (1968).cbz
Marvel/Captain Marvel/v2 1995/Captain Marvel v2 001 (1995).cbr

etc, however I'm not sure what'll happen to my existing issues. Can Mylar handle a folder and file format change and move the comics around per the format, or do I need to do this manually? And will Mylar be able to find the issues after I make the folder and filename changes?

Thanks in advance!
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Changing folder structure?

Post by evilhero »

ATM, there isn't a way for Mylar to create the given folder format structure, and subsequently move said items into the folders as required. As long as you tell Mylar where your files are (in the new location path), it'll be able to find them as they were previously without problems. You could do it this way in thinking about how it is currently in Mylar:

- Edit the required directory location within Mylar so that it points to whatever_start_path_you _have/Marvel/Captain Marvel/v1 1968/.
- Change the folder format to the format you're wanting (ie. $Publisher/$Series/$VolumeN $Year)
- Refresh each series so that it force-updates the new path locations and creates the directories as it refreshes (ie. your create_folders option in the config.ini is set to the default value of True still).
- Move the files from the original location into that specific folder.
- Perform a ReCheck Files for the given series to make sure that it knows the new location and where the files are.

It's an interesting notion that's been brought up before, but implementing it in a such a way that allows users the granular control that they would require in these types of circumstances is the difficult part. I'd love to be able to implement some sort of more powerful file management tools such as this into Mylar but in the same thought, I'm also not really wanting to start moving users files/folders around without the proper safeguards in place to ensure things are successful. I am slowly starting to work towards more file management stuff however - as an example, there's a hidden Preview Rename option in the development build that could be reached by direct url only (ie. http://mylaraddress:8090/previewRename?comicid=XXXXX) which shows what a rename of all currently found issues of a given series would look like with the manipulated format strings...
Zefrem23

Re: Changing folder structure?

Post by Zefrem23 »

Thanks for the detailed explanation :)

I arrived at the method you suggested with a bit of experimentation, and the specific folders that needed renaming were only a handful, so it went pretty smoothly. Now that the settings are the way I like them, subsequent imports will go a hell of a lot more smoothly.

:)