Auto Update does not trigger update check

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
RG9400

Auto Update does not trigger update check

Post by RG9400 »

I have been trying to get the auto update feature to work. I noticed a hidden flag in the config.ini called auto_update, so I set that to True.

When this flag is set to false, I have to click the Check for Update button, and then also hit the restart button once it finds new commits are available.

When the flag is set to True, I still have to click the Check for Update button since nothing is auto triggered, even after days from the new commit. However, as soon as I hit the button, it checks and updates and restarts automatically. In other words, the restart portion is now automated, even though the check is not.

Details about install:
Mylar version: python3-dev -- git (build 56a67b9430116cca4bf2e1ec2cc757f20010711b)
Type of install: git
Python version: 3.8.3

side note: noticed the new commits introduce the carbon theme. How do I switch to that theme?
goin3d

Re: Auto Update does not trigger update check

Post by goin3d »

under Settings>Advanced Settings there's an interface drop down where you can select the carbon theme
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Auto Update does not trigger update check

Post by evilhero »

Auto-update code was never finished, and / or tested properly. Which is why it's undocumented and just has the ini setting still in place. At some point we'll return to it, but at that point in time there were too many other things happening to try to throw that into the mix as well.

The restart thing normally works regardless of the flag being used, which might be more indicative of python-on-windows type of problem as opposed to one that affects every OS. As far as I know, it will update and then auto-restart after a period of time (60s I believe) has passed - I haven't heard anything contrary to that up until this post, which leads me to believe it's a WIndows thing that we need to code for (last I checked, it worked fine on Ubuntu).