Folder ownership can mess up imports and moves on Linux

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
castertr0y357

Folder ownership can mess up imports and moves on Linux

Post by castertr0y357 »

This may be more of an FYI than a bug, but this seemed to be the most appropriate place to post this.

Background info:

I may be one of the few people on here that runs Mylar on Freenas. There used to be a direct plugin that someone created (and how I found out about Mylar), but that has fallen to the wayside, and forced me to create a custom implementation in a standard jail. When I setup the recent implementation, I made a typo in the main directory and folder creation was happening in a different directory than my main comic folder. Once I figured out my typo, I fixed it. One of the other things I noticed is that the mounts I had going to the jail were showing up as owned by 1001:1001 and Mylar was running under root:wheel due to a Freenas update.

Topic info:

I was trying to get Mylar to import the comics in the wrong location to the correct location by doing a Mass import. What I found was every time it tried to move a file, it would fail due to lack of permissions even though all locations had 777 on it. I eventually went through and did a chown for the whole directory to be root:wheel, and that seemed to allow it to work.

TL:DR:

On Linux, even if you have open permissions (777), certain functions can still get messed up if the owner/group doesn't match up what Mylar is running as and set to.