Moving Mylar

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
Aimhere

Moving Mylar

Post by Aimhere »

Hey evilhero,

Well, I've managed to mess up my Synology's Mylar installation to the point where it will no longer run. It started with the latest update to the development version, which would not start up again after the update. Something about my Synology install just doesn't like it. I've tried using 'git reset --hard <commit>' to revert to an earlier commit, uninstalling and reinstalling the SynoCommunity package, doing a fresh git install (copying my backup config.ini and other data to it before starting up), running 'python Mylar.py' from a shell with various options, and so on. But I just can't get the GUI to load without error.

I'm kind of tired fighting this Frankensteined part-git-part-SynoCommunity-package install, so I'm going to try to move Mylar to a Windows PC which I use for HTPC duties, while leaving my comics where they are on the Synology NAS. This ought to have some tangible benefits anyway, since the Windows PC is way faster than my Synology's anemic processor, and in removing Mylar and NZBget from the NAS, the NAS will be free to just do file-server duties (as it should have been in the first place).

I've seen the threads in the FAQ/How-Tos forum about moving Mylar to a different computer, but I was just wondering if there are any other things to consider?

aimhere
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Moving Mylar

Post by evilhero »

Your biggest hurdle is probably ensuring that the db changes will point to the correct Comic Location, since that will change as Mylar will be accessing it via a different machine. That being said, you mentioned you had read the various posts about moving stuff, so it's not a difficult process.

Now if you're moving nzbget off, where nzbget drops the completed files for Mylar to post-process via ComicRN is dependent on where you have the folder located (on the same machine as both Mylar & nzbget, or on the NAS). If it's on the same machine, just changing things so they point to the new machine install would be all that's needed. If it's on the NAS, you have to worry about permissions (seeing as how you'd be going from nzbget -->NAS) as then Mylar would have to remotely move/copy around the NAS itself (from the download location to the series folder location). With SMB/CFS and even NFS shares (I'm guessing one of these is the route you'd probably go), permission problems with mount points can come into play quite easily initially. All of it can be done of course, but the first step would be to ensure that your ComicLocation for your series has been updated to point to the new NAS location.

Just fire me back any questions/problems you run into and I'll help you as best I can.
Aimhere

Re: Moving Mylar

Post by Aimhere »

I managed to get Mylar running again on my Synology, so I'm at least getting comics again. Might still end up migrating to Windows, though, so stay tuned.