I have to end process in order to update Mylar

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
leaderdog

I have to end process in order to update Mylar

Post by leaderdog »

Hi Evilhero!

This may just be a me issue. Program is working great, but when I click the update option, it goes through the motions of updating and then it still has the update. The only way I can get it to update is to go to my remote server, close the instance of python currently running, restart mylar and then I can update.

I need to do that each time it updates. I haven't restarted the server in a while, maybe something is hanging that way... but none of the other programs are giving me issues.

running on windows 7
Mylar Version: development
-- git build 1fa3de4cb1c1571bc1080a0db0bc3a5b62f6be69.
Python Version : 2.7.13
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: I have to end process in order to update Mylar

Post by evilhero »

How did you install Mylar - via git or by source? Because that impacts on how the update process is done - generally git is more efficient, but especially on Windows I'm finding it's not properly deleting old libraries that have been moved around within the Mylar subdirectories which causes problems.

You can try going into the Mylar subdirectory and deleting all the .pyc files (not the .py ones!), and then in each subdirectory therein. And you could also delete all the .pyc files in the lib folder (I believe the only one that got switched around recently was the apscheduler directory - so you'd have to delete all the .pyc files within there).

Otherwise, if you installed it via git - you could just cd into the Mylar directory via command line, and issue a 'git pull'....it will spit back some info, and odds are it will say there's some kind of local conflict that's stopping the process from going through.

Or (I just thought of this), it could be having problems with the log files rotating - since it is a windows box, but when you look at the logs there should be something pertaining to it failing to roll over a log file due to it being in use / locked.
leaderdog

Post by leaderdog »

Thanks for the reply.

Pretty sure I did git to install it.

I went and did git pull and it did counting objects 12, done
then unpacked etc and said already up-to-date

I deleted all the pyc files ( searched for *.pyc and deleted everything)

ran git pull again and it said already-up-to date

I searched the log files for "locked" and "roll over" but there is no mention of it in any of the 3 log files.

It used to update no problem. Just started about the 5th or so update ago. (hmm, I shouldn't speculate, but it's been a bunch of updates that I've had to do this)

Will see how it goes next time there is an update. Or maybe server needs a reboot? shockingly I think it's been running for 42 days. I thought we had a power outage not to long ago. /shrugs
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

There have been a few problems with updating in the last few days, aside from deleting the .pyc files the other option that seems to work is rebooting the device. Not quite sure why exactly, maybe git is caching some stuff and can't clear it when it's in use or something...

I was going to say it seems to be a Windows-related issue, but someone just posted having the same kind of problem on github that was running Ubuntu - so atm I'm unsure as to what exactly is happening, although if I were to wager I would be the apscheduler changes I recently did probably caused things to get confused/locked/something and either the git pull/reboot clears things up (for the time being at least).