Mylar not starting / force close

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
themole3001

Mylar not starting / force close

Post by themole3001 »

Hello

I've been happily using Mylar for over two years now but recently the programs fails to launch as a service and cannot be launched manually either. I have a VBS script in my startup folder which normally launches Mylar as a service once my computer boots up, and it just runs in the background, however it is no longer launching.

I'm not good with Python, so I have only been able to get as far as double-clicking the Mylar.py script to attempt to launch it. A cmd window opens very briefly and immediately closes. I have managed to establish that Python is working fine though by launching Headphones.

I've also tried re-downloading the latest version of Mylar from github and trying to launch that - same effect. I've also tried disabling my AV software temporarily - same effect. Any idea what could be causing this issue? I would upload logs but they haven't been updated since 05/09 - the last day the program was successfully launched.
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Mylar not starting / force close

Post by evilhero »

It sounds like you updated to a commit that had an error that's causing it to stop.

The vbs script just daemonizes the app so no window appears, but in this case you kinda need to see it. What I would try first, is to go to a command prompt (DOS), and cd into the mylar directory, and then enter in the startup command

Code: Select all

python Mylar.py -v
(the -v tells Mylar to start in verbose mode). With any luck you should see the error in the dos console, and then paste it in here so I can see what's happening.

If it says python path not found, you might have to add python to your environment path, or call it directly from the command line - as an example, from within the mylar directory, depending on your python install location :

C:\Program Files\Python\python.exe  Mylar.py -v
themole3001

Post by themole3001 »

Wow, impressive response speed and knowledge!

Fortunately I know basic DOS commands so I managed to get this - hope it means more to you than it does me!

c:\Mylar>python Mylar.py -v
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Mylar.py", line 26, in <module>
import mylar
File "c:\Mylar\mylar\__init__.py", line 36, in <module>
from apscheduler.schedulers.background import BackgroundScheduler
File "lib\apscheduler\schedulers\background.py", line 5, in <module>
from apscheduler.schedulers.base import BaseScheduler
File "lib\apscheduler\schedulers\base.py", line 11, in <module>
from pkg_resources import iter_entry_points
ImportError: No module named pkg_resources
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Yep - you're running windows and the scheduler got switched/revamped in the latest dev.

Simple solution - go into the /lib/apscheduler directory and delete all the .pyc files in that and each subdirectory therein (note just the .pyc files, not the .py files). Once you're done start it up from the command line and it should start working.

(if you installed via git, it's even simpler - just renamed thr apscheduler directory in /lib to something else and then do a

git pull
from the mylar root directory and its done.)

You just happened to get me at home with the kids, so I'm quick to respond - but normally I try to respond within an hr or two of an issue post depending on what I'm doing atm obviously ;)
themole3001

Post by themole3001 »

Hey there we go, I'm back up and running again!

Thanks for the help mate - where do I donate?
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

If you'd like to help fund the development, or simply to buy me a coffee so I can get jacked up on the stuff (since that's my vice) - the options are available in the configuration tab of Mylar on the very first tab.

It's obviously not a requirement, but if you happen to help the cause a little bit - then it is much appreciated and with many thanks :)
themole3001

Post by themole3001 »

I'll gladly stump up for a coffee, least I can do given the number of rare and hard to find comics you've helped me to acquire with minimal effort!