ComicVine SSL Handshake Failure

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
jckprry

ComicVine SSL Handshake Failure

Post by jckprry »

So I seem to be having the same issue as this person here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1768

The only problem is I'm trying to install Mylar on OpenMediaVault, which runs Debian, and has Python 2.7.3.

Any ideas how I can get around this? I really don't want to update the OMV Python version, that seems like a bad idea.
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: ComicVine SSL Handshake Failure

Post by evilhero »

Unfortunately the only way to get around the error is to upgrade the python. And you're right as well, while you can load an additional python version simultaneously, it can play havoc with things and libraries.

The easiest, and safest solution is one that I use myself actually - it's called pyenv and it awesome. With it, you can load any python version, any number of times and it will have zero impact on your actual os python. You can have specific programs use specific versions, again without impacting your original version. And you can install various modules on a per python version level even.

I would recommended that as the best viable option for people in your exact situation.
jckprry

Post by jckprry »

@evilhero,

Thanks for the suggestion (and for Mylar btw, seriously). I've used virtualenv in the past and the thought didn't even cross my mind. Figures.

To make Mylar use the right Python version, would I just alter this line in /etc/init.d/mylar?

evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Yep, to run it via the daemon you would set the DAEMON variable to point to the location of the pyenv shim for the give python. Since my pyenv is installed in my home directory and I'm using 2.7.9, my daemon option looks like this:

Code: Select all

DAEMON=${PYTHON_BIN-/home/evilhero/.pyenv/verisons/2.7.9/bin/python}
Just remember that the way that pyenv is installed it's generally installed to the user's home directory although I'm sure that's configurable somehow. Also if you were to install say 2.7.13 or another 2.x version (because Mylar can't use 3.x) you would just replace the 2.7.9 with the version # you installed to run mylar against that particular python version.

Hope this helps - and welcome to pyenv! :)
jckprry

Post by jckprry »

Just revisiting this thread to let you know I got pyenv, 2.7.9, etc all working on OpenMediaVault and now have Mylar up and running (and working)!

Thanks so much for your help.

p.s. If I wanted to make a custom theme for Mylar to revamp the front-end a bit, how would you propose I go about doing that?
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

I'm all up for any help when it comes to updating the GUI/Frontend ... There's a gent on github (s-cotton) whose undertaken the task of updating both the backend/frontend linking of the GUI without actually impacting the backend as it is, but it's a pretty huge task for one guy to do (but it's awesome that he's doing it!) and I'm little help when it comes to that and the way he's doing it is outside of my knowledge base.

If you were just updating the html/css kinda stuff - it might be easier to copy the entire default directory of data/interfaces/default into a new location under the interfaces directory and modify stuff in there so that you can just modify the existing templates without it affecting the default. It would also help with merging then as well, as then it wouldn't impact someone until they knowingly change the interface theme to that particular one ;) If you did it this way, then the option is available in the gui dropdown of the configuration tab once the directory is created in that path (/data/interfaces/<newtheme>). Enabling it might be a completely different beast, but that'd be on me to get it going in that way.

Again, I'm not sure which works - I mean, if you're offering to help and want to update the front-end - you could just modify the files and submit a PR and then I can go over them that way and see how it's best to merge them into the base ;)

Thanks for the offer!