Search box behavior

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
Aimhere

Search box behavior

Post by Aimhere »

Hi,

I find that the behavior of the search box (in the Mylar page header) is completely counter-intuitive. Instead of returning titles that match ALL of the keywords, it returns titles that match ANY keyword.

So if I search for, say, "Batman Arkham Knight", it returns any title containing "Batman" OR "Arkham" OR "Knight", giving dozens and dozens of results, when all I wanted was the ONE (or at least, few) "Batman Arkham Knight".

I also tried "Batman: Arkham Knight" (thinking the punctuation was important) but get much the same results, e.g. way too many.

Is this inherent to Mylar, or is it the result of some sort of limitation on how ComicVine processes searches?
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Search box behavior

Post by evilhero »

Aimhere wrote:Hi,

I find that the behavior of the search box (in the Mylar page header) is completely counter-intuitive. Instead of returning titles that match ALL of the keywords, it returns titles that match ANY keyword.

So if I search for, say, "Batman Arkham Knight", it returns any title containing "Batman" OR "Arkham" OR "Knight", giving dozens and dozens of results, when all I wanted was the ONE (or at least, few) "Batman Arkham Knight".

I also tried "Batman: Arkham Knight" (thinking the punctuation was important) but get much the same results, e.g. way too many.

Is this inherent to Mylar, or is it the result of some sort of limitation on how ComicVine processes searches?
It's a limitation of CV and how they allow the API to use the search function - you either have to use 'AND' or 'OR'....using 'AND' you get back a very minimal amount of hits and usually no hits to a given search result, using 'OR' you get back alot more obviously but then you have to wade through the crap. So it's more to try and accommodate someone looking for something like the series they're wanting vs returning exactly what they want and probably not even retrieving any results. There is also the Explicit Search option that's available on the search results page - clicking on it will resubmit the query replacing 'OR' with 'AND'.

You can also specify a direct query hit, in which you simply put the term you're looking for within double quotation marks into the search bar (ie. "Batman Arkham Knight" or "Batman: Arkham Knight") which I've found to be abit more reliable, but CV has a really crappy api search engine for whatever reason. I might remove the 'explicit/loose' buttons because they really don't do anything anymore - at one point when CV was changing things around with the AND/OR quite frequently it was kinda necessary because one result would return nothing, and the other would return something. Right now, the double quotation marks are used for the story arc searches, as well as annual searches when importing/refreshing - but it was as an experiment of sorts to see how reliable the matching would be.

Maybe if I force the search query to submit the query in double quotation marks, and then have a button on the search results to allow users to see ALL possible matches - might be abit more to everyone's liking. That way the api hits to CV would be at a minimum initially, unless the ALL possible matches is selected to encompass more results.