Digital vs Print versions

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
Destron

Digital vs Print versions

Post by Destron »

I've not experienced this yet, but I anticipate I will.

One publisher has some series that it releases a digital weekly edition and a monthly print edition. Obviously, the digital edition gets into the higher numbers faster. So in a given week, you could see issue 4 and issue 21 at the same time.

My question, if these are named identically (and they usually are) how does Mylar tell the difference between them, and put them in the right place?

Or can it?
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Digital vs Print versions

Post by evilhero »

Destron wrote:I've not experienced this yet, but I anticipate I will.

One publisher has some series that it releases a digital weekly edition and a monthly print edition. Obviously, the digital edition gets into the higher numbers faster. So in a given week, you could see issue 4 and issue 21 at the same time.

My question, if these are named identically (and they usually are) how does Mylar tell the difference between them, and put them in the right place?

Or can it?
Currently, Mylar can't tell the difference unfortunately - but it will be able to at some point (I'm slowly working towards that, a big part was having to redo the filechecker completely in order to accommodate these types of things). From my experience with the digital vs. print, I always tell people to try and track the print versions of the series just because it seems that they get tracked abit better on CV - but lately, I don't think that's even the case anymore. The only problem is that CV doesn't actually distinguish between the 2 types on CV for a particular series, unless you actually view the given series page where it says it's a digital edition.

Right now, the only series' that I know that's really given everyone a difficult time to track on mylar is the Injustice series - the best bet is to download the individual issues outside of Mylar for the particular print/digital, and then have Mylar post-process them BUT only have the one type on your watchlist (meaning print vs. digital). This will ensure that Mylar will pick the right series - and unless you're absolutely need to have both types, it will work for the vast majority of people until I'm able to get the changes rolled out to accomodate these types of comics.
Destron

Re: Digital vs Print versions

Post by Destron »

Got it, thanks. I'm not sure which is more annoying. Digital Weekly series with a print version, or that other company's habit of restarting 30 of their series every year.