Mylar Permissions + FreeNAS Driving me Crazy!!!

Post any problems / bugs / issues that are Mylar-related in here.
rich110

Mylar Permissions + FreeNAS Driving me Crazy!!!

Post by rich110 »

Hi,

I know this topic has been brought up before, but I'm at my wits end....

I recently (foolishly) updated Mylar, and in doing so broke my Mylar/FreeNAS permissions - that were all working prior. My problem is that Mylar is able to search for and download torrents from KAT, and save them into my torrent client (Transmission) watch folder, but Transmission does not automatically load the newly added torrents. If I manually open the torrents, Transmissions loads them and downloads them just fine, and Mylar post-processes the completed downloads fine too.

I think the issue is that, regardless of the permission changes I make, Mylar is always saving new torrents as Owner read/write only (rx-------). The owner and group for Mylar in FreeNAS is media:media. So far I have tried the following without success....

Changed the torrent watch folder to media:media (GID:UID) permissions
Added the Transmission UID (921) to the media group in the Mylar jail
Added the Mylar UID (816) to the Transmission GID in the Transmission jail
Changed the Directory and File CHMOD in Mylar web Interface" settings to 0777
Changed the owner and group in Mylar web Interface" settings to 816 (media)

No matter what I do, after rebooting FreeNAS, Mylar continues to save new fetched torrents as rx------- (Owner read/write only).

I've tried all the suggestions of previous post (with the exception of changing the Transmission GID/UID to media:media (which I don't really want to do for fear of breaking other plugins in my FreeNAS box).

Any ideas?

Thanks, Rich

PS> Other than the frustrating permissions issues I tend to hit every so often I love the program.
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Mylar Permissions + FreeNAS Driving me Crazy!!!

Post by evilhero »

I think the problem here is that you have 2 different jails and they're trying to interact with one another. The mylar jail (where all the .torrent files get initially saved), and then the transmission jail (where all the .torrent files get moved to).

So while they're in the mylar jail, they have the proper permissions as per the mylar GUI user:group fields. However once they get moved out of the jail and into another jail, they would still have the same user:group settings but the jail doesn't allow cross-jail access unless the indicated user is in the wheel group (and the group is indicated as such in the permissions of the folder). From what I understand if you want the jails to be allowed access from other jails the group needs to be indicated as wheel.

Have you tried setting the Owner/Group within mylar to media:wheel, and then the transmission watch directory into the wheel group as well ?

If you check the permissions on the cache directory within the mylar sub-dir, that's where Mylar temporarily dumps the .torrent/.nzb files. If the permissions are correct on there (meaning they're identical to what the mylar GUI has), then it might be the jail-aspect that's causing some issues - albeit I don't know the full extent of said issues as I haven't used jail techniques since my glftpd days :(