Looking for a good server/client setup

Anything non-Mylar related
Rourke

Looking for a good server/client setup

Post by Rourke »

I have a powerful server running Linux and I'm looking for a setup where I can centralize/host my comics on it. I'm also looking for clients which work on Windows 10, Android tablet and if possible iPhone. I'd like to give myself and my family/friends access to my comics from anywhere as long as they have a compatible client and an internet connection.

I've tried Calibre but I didn't really get it to work properly and it just didn't felt like what I was looking for.

I installed Ubooquity and it works great! Unfortunately there is no client for Windows or iPhone that supports Ubooquity or OPDS feeds afaik. I don't want to depend on reading through browsers.

I can't quite find anything that fits my wishes. Any recommendations?
barbequesauce

Re: Looking for a good server/client setup

Post by barbequesauce »

I'm far from an Ubooquity fan, but you can just read the pages in the browser - no more of a client needed... http://vaemendis.net/ubooquity/data/ima ... reader.jpg
TheBigZig

Post by TheBigZig »

Not sure about iPhone, but the Chunky reader for iPad DOES support ODPS. In fact, that is my exact setup. Mylar, Ubooquity, and all my other content servers/grabbers are behind a VPN. If I'm on my home Wifi, I just hit the ip address. If I'm away from home, I VPN in and Ive got all my content.
Totally recommend.
AtariBaby

Post by AtariBaby »

You can set up FTP, which will work whether the end user is on Chunky or anything else. You can also install ComicStreamer although it hasn’t been updated in ages. Comc streamer will allow the users to view as webpages.
leaderdog

Post by leaderdog »

Is there a comic server that acts similar to plex or jellyfin for comics? Where it keeps track of what you've read regardless of the program you use to read with? Seems semi pointless to have a server if it doesn't maintain that info. I can't remember what I ate yesterday let alone keep track of a dozen different series.

I've got Ubooquity on right now. Not a fan, it keeps track but not visually, so if you open a book you already read then it just starts at the end.
I tried Komga, but that is so not user friendly to install I just got frustrated and quit, plus the default port is 8080 which is Sabnzdb's port so you have to turn it off or figure out how to change the port (which I don't understand you need to install some other program to pull that off)

Yet to try:
ComicStreamer... have to put python 2.7 back on to run it.. meh
Tenma - I need to follow the instructions yet, need to install an environment.

I'm using windows 10 for my server. and have a windows tablet (bought many ages ago).

I'd be happy with a plugin for jellyfin, but no one has made that yet. I'll switch my htpc over to Jellyfin once they've got a proper windows 10 desktop solution for it. I don't like the direction Plex is going and that they're monitoring you when you log in. I don't like that. and ya I know Windows. but you can debloat it and block their telemetry crap. ;) And linux is well... a foreign language to me.

So any other solutions or suggestions?
barbequesauce

Post by barbequesauce »

Lots of folks in the Mylar iRC are using Komga (https://github.com/gotson/komga)
leaderdog

Post by leaderdog »

I tried that.

The first time it talked about claiming. But the wiki didn't have the right information so I tried a few things that were unsuccessful and just got mad and gave up. Things like that I think should be built into the program so the user can actually accomplish something in the program.

I decided to try it again and this time I couldn't even log in. Just sat on the login screen. I looked in the log to see if there was a temp pass etc. But meh nothing. So just gave up.

It looks like it could be good. but the setup, and this claiming nonsense should be settled in the program at install. Ubooquity is Java as well, but you don't need to "claim" anything. You install, put in the admin password and then setup your user and folders etc.

I dunno, if there was an idiots guide to installing with the correct information and stupid simple walkthough I'd go for it again. but as such there really isn't, at least not updated. and since the claim part is pretty important, it just doesn't work. Without having some basic programming skills I suppose. Since you need to install a different program just to get it to load on a different port. All that should be controlled within the program itself.

Rather frustrating. ;)
leaderdog

Post by leaderdog »

I tried their online demo. They don't mark comics that you've read either.

It has been requested tho. So it will possibly get put in.

But as I said, to me anyways, it's one of the most complicated setups I've had to deal with. But maybe I was just to tired at the times I tried it :)
ibagami

Post by ibagami »

Hi

The new version of Komga with the first run you can claim the server, on the file application.yml you can configure a different port.
i´ve been using Komga with the tachiyomi app on my tablet almost for a year. yes the old version was difficult to install but with the updates it becomes easy.
Try again!!!! you won´t regreat