What is your setup??

Anything non-Mylar related
vmcosco

What is your setup??

Post by vmcosco »

Thought it might be nice to share our comic book set ups. I may be moving from an iPad to a Surface so I am curious what setups other people have and what works.

Here is my setup using a Windows server and iPad:

1) Deluge client set to download weekly comic packs
2) Mylar searches packs for wanted issues, processes, tags and moves them to my comics directory
3) ComicStreamer monitors comics directory and imports new issues (ComicStreamer runs behind nginx with a reverse proxy on my personal domain so I can access from outside my home network)
4) Chunky Comic Reader on iPad connects to ComicStreamer to either download or stream comics from anywhere

Very happy with the workflow.
lnlytrll

Re: What is your setup??

Post by lnlytrll »

Do Chunky Reader, ComicStreamer, or Uboooquity have lists like ComicRack? I'm still maintaining a windows box solely for the purpose of running ComicRack, because it's the only server/app that I know of that will let me create lists to sync to my iPad, based either on a single title, grouped titles with a common term, or a "catch-all" that syncs the 10 oldest unread books.

I do love ComicRack, but it's so out of date and I'd love to ditch my Windows box.
Nargath

Post by Nargath »

My setup is good, but I get the feeling it can be improved:
  • Mylar grabs from NZBGeek and OZNZB
  • Drops comics into Publisher\Series(Year)
  • ComicRack uses these folders as its Library
  • Have a Smart List that shows me all non-CBZ books, and books that have no ComicVine ID associated with it.
  • Convert the books, then scrape all new books (I know that Mylar does this, but I've found that ComicRack adds more of the metadata in)
  • Data Manager to apply custom tags to particular books, based on metadata criteria (characters usually). This is so I can use Smart Lists for custom groupings.
  • Smart Lists for DC and Marvel, then a Smart List for inidividual books (Saga, etc), then Smart Lists grouping types (Doctor Who, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers, etc)
  • Use those Smart Lists to sync out to my iPad with the ComicRack app on it. As I utilise "Unread Only" on the syncing parameters, when I read a book and then resync, its automatically removed from my iPad.
Getting worried though, as the ComicRack iOS app is still only 32bit, and eventually apps using that won't work anymore. The ComicRack dev has been pretty silent for the last while.
Ubooquity would be a good alternative, but the fact that there's no read/unread status on it means I can't mimic my auto removal and adding process onto my iPad.
Last edited by Nargath on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jedimole

Post by jedimole »

vmcosco wrote:Thought it might be nice to share our comic book set ups. I may be moving from an iPad to a Surface so I am curious what setups other people have and what works.

Here is my setup using a Windows server and iPad:

1) Deluge client set to download weekly comic packs
2) Mylar searches packs for wanted issues, processes, tags and moves them to my comics directory
3) ComicStreamer monitors comics directory and imports new issues (ComicStreamer runs behind nginx with a reverse proxy on my personal domain so I can access from outside my home network)
4) Chunky Comic Reader on iPad connects to ComicStreamer to either download or stream comics from anywhere

Very happy with the workflow.
You still using this same setup?
milkplus

Post by milkplus »

1) Mylar handles my weekly comics downloads via usenet and stores on a NAS
2) I used the ComicReader plugin for PLEX to host files on the same machine as Mylar
3) PLEX app on my smartphone/tablet to stream

It's not completely foolproof but the PLEX plugin lets me stream stuff on-the-go and has rudimentary read/unread/resume functionality. Just wish it would let you download to device so books can be read when travelling.
jedimole

Post by jedimole »

Cool, I use Uboo and Comic Zeal on my "old" Ipad 2. The plex option sounds interesting though.