[QUESTION] Changing folder/comic name structure

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
Spido

[QUESTION] Changing folder/comic name structure

Post by Spido »

Recently I've been downloading quite a lot of comics. Before I had post processing set-up to just create a folder with the comic name, in one main "Comic" folder, but now that this folder is starting to grow bigger, I might want to switch to a structure of [publisher]/[comic name]. However, as I said, I already have my installation of Mylar running with lots of comics inside. Can I safely change the set-up to this new post-processing folder structure, or will this ruin the entire set-up with my comics?
Same question goes for my downloaded comics. Now it downloads it as [comicname] X (year). With comics with more than 20 issues, the sorting goes from issue 1, to 10-19, and onward to 2. Can I also change this within Mylar so it sorts it as 1, 2, 3, etc., 10, 11, 12, etc.?
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: [QUESTION] Changing folder/comic name structure

Post by evilhero »

Yep you can do it, but you need to do it in a certain order for things to work properly. First shutdown mylar, and then edit the config.ini.

Inside find these 3 values:
locmove = 0
newcom_dir = ""
fftonewcom_dir = 0

Setting locmove = 1 will enable the one time mass update of comiclocation. If you leave newcom_dir blank (or as is "") it will not do anything. Setting a path (with no trailing slash!) will update every and all series to the newcom_dir path but keep the existing folder name for the given series that is already present. So if your:
ComicLocation = /mnt/evilhero/Comics

and

newcom_dir = /mnt/Comics

Upon the next startup/restart it will update the series location in Mylar from /mnt/evilhero/Comics</series> to /mnt/Comics/<series>, and then reset the locmove flag to 0 so it doesn't try to run on every startup thereafter.

fftonewcom_dir (0/1). Enabling this option will apply your current Folder Format string to every directory change that's being done at the same time as it's converting directories. This also includes subdirectories within the Folder format (ie. '$Publisher/$Series/$Volume ($Year)')

So in your case you need to set locmove=1, fftonewcom_dir=1 and change your Folder format string to '$Publisher/$Series' or however you want your structure to encompass the new folder format you want. It's probably best to change the folder format prior to shutting down mylar so that you don't have to keep flipping back and resetting the locmove variable.
Spido

Post by Spido »

A belated thanks for the clear explanation.
I assume that this mass moving of comics is especially convenient when you have lots of comics. I however haven't added a lot of comics in Mylar thus far. Can I in theory also change the folders manually, within the edit settings of each separate comic? Or will this break something when I do it that way?

Also, for both my suggestion above as for your explanation on how to do it, would I need to manually create the new folder structer and move all comics in that new folder structure, or will mylar also take care of that :D?
blindguy

Post by blindguy »

It seemed to work perfect for me. I had to move everything from drive a to drive B and it looks like it updated everything.

Thanks for all the work you do on the app!!
Spido

Post by Spido »

blindguy wrote:It seemed to work perfect for me. I had to move everything from drive a to drive B and it looks like it updated everything.

Thanks for all the work you do on the app!!
What method are you referring to? The one of Evilhero, or my second solution, of manually changing all directories within Mylar after moving the comics to new folders :)?
blindguy

Post by blindguy »

I used evilhero's method
uncle cluster

Post by uncle cluster »

Sorry to post on an 8 year old thread! but is this still the preferred way of doing this?
I want to move from

Code: Select all

/comics/$Series ($Year)
to

Code: Select all

/comics/$Publisher/$Series ($Year)
Is there a simple 2023 step by step for someone to do that? For context I'm running mylar in Docker on a Synology NAS.
mareczek82

Post by mareczek82 »

Hi,
for me easiest way was to move all comics to other folder and then proceed with import.