What files to save to back up&restore when moving to new hdd

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
renaldok

What files to save to back up&restore when moving to new hdd

Post by renaldok »

What files / folders do I need to copy/save? I formatted my HDD recently and copied the entire folder structure from my old installation to my new Drive ( Win 8 pro to Win 7 pro) and Mylar wouldn't start. I've just started from scratch again ( only had 40 comics) I would love a restore feature like sick beard, where you can point to the pre existing folder(s) and it auto adds them again. BTW Really nice program...
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: What files to save to back up&restore when moving to new

Post by evilhero »

renaldok wrote:What files / folders do I need to copy/save? I formatted my HDD recently and copied the entire folder structure from my old installation to my new Drive ( Win 8 pro to Win 7 pro) and Mylar wouldn't start. I've just started from scratch again ( only had 40 comics) I would love a restore feature like sick beard, where you can point to the pre existing folder(s) and it auto adds them again. BTW Really nice program...
I'll look into adding some backup/restore options within Mylar in the future.

To Backup / Restore Mylar across different locations and keeping the same data intact :

You just need to backup/move your config.ini and mylar.db files. If you don't want Mylar to redownload the image covers (or you don't like seeing empty pictures), you can backup the entire cache directory (well just the .jpgs is all that's required).

If your Comic Location has changed as well (hard drive crash / moving to new drive / etc ):

You need to change the Destination Path in the config.ini to point to the new location of your comics. This will affect all 'add series' going forward.
To change the location where Mylar currently thinks your comics are, to a new location where they really are now - you need to do 2 things:

- First shutdown Mylar

- Edit your config.ini and change these values:
locmove = 1
newcom_dir = <full_path_to_the_new_location_of_your_comics - ie. new Comic Location>

Start up Mylar and Mylar will make the changes on startup and then continue loading and you should be good to go...

This will change all the locations within the Mylar db to point to the new location (nothing ever gets physically touched on your machine in regards to the issues).