Config for Mylar/Sab/Kavita

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
Chiefmas

Config for Mylar/Sab/Kavita

Post by Chiefmas »

Hello,

I'm making an effort to get Mylar working for me...I think I'm pretty close, I just need a few things clarified for me, as I think my fuzziness on a few items means I may have a couple things configured incorrectly.

So, the setup will be Mylar, with Sabnzbd as the client, and Kavita as my server. They are all running under Docker on the same host.
Let me start quickly with the Kavita part as I think it is a bit outside what would normally need to come up, but I think how I've got folders setup right now might not be in a good way and could be problematic even.
My main comics folder(from NAS), because I didn't think about how these are really touching the same spot, are mapped to a different path in each of the 3 containers, so it's somewhat unnecessarily complex:
Kavita sees it as: /data/comics
Mylar sees it as: /comics
sabnzbd targets a subfolder: /kavita-incoming is actually a subfolder called "incoming" under the top level comics folder in the other two containers (i.e. this is comics/incoming in the Kavita and Mylar containers).
Mylar has an additional path, /downloads which is mapped to the same folder that the above folder in sabnzbd is, i.e. /kavita-incoming in sabnzbd is the same actual location as /downloads in the Mylar container.

So first up, will the incoming folder being a subfolder of the top level comics folder be an issue? I'm thinking of moving it because, depending on how on configure Kavita, it's not going to dynamically notice if a new publisher folder shows up, and it will add the Incoming folder. I'm not sure if I want to do that or not, but if it's going to create a weird recursion problem in Mylar, which is what I'm worried about- the download folder being a sub-folder of the library folder, that will simplify the decision for me.

The folder setup there leads me to the next question. In Mylar's download settings, there is the question "Are Mylar / SABnzbd on separate machines". I am assuming this is so Mylar knows where to look properly, and that if I mapped paths into the containers so that the path returned by Sabnzbd as the location of the successful download worked in the Mylar container, I would uncheck the separate machines box? Since they are separate containers, and the paths are slightly different to each container, I'm checking it to mark them as separate machines, even though the host is the same, and then in the "Sabnzbd Download Directory", I put /downloads in, since, per above structure, that is the same location sabnzbd will be saving comics to.

I think that will get my basic setup squared away.

Now, functionally, reading some other posts here, I think I already messed stuff up. I ran a Scan Comic Library, and pointed it at the /downloads folder. I misunderstood and thought this would cause the files to be processed and moved. Instead, I think I had the settings wrong and ended up telling Mylar that they live in the /downloads folder. So now I'm trying to figure out is there a way I can get Mylar to re-process the stuff in my downloads folder and move it? Like, if I just delete the entire watchlist and re-do the Scan Comic Library function, can I get it to identify, and then create folders in the library folder(/comics) and then move them? I'm clearly a bit fuzzy on this, I had expected it to do that when I ran the scan before, but instead I caused the locations for the series to get updated to where they are now- not the desired outcome at all.

If I have to move the files elsewhere, or even drop and recreate the entire watchlist, that's fine. I don't have _that_ much stuff in there, this is all a new effort, and I haven't yet added everything for that very reason, so any setbacks aren't really that huge in terms of time lost.

Sorry about the long post, thank you for any help!
bull3t

Re: Config for Mylar/Sab/Kavita

Post by bull3t »

After I made the settings for the folder structure and file names recommended by Kavita, I encountered a Mylar freeze when adding a series of CV using a userscript. After that, I returned to the default settings in Mylar and everything started working stably again.
My choice was on Komga, but I also want to try using the Codex.
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Config for Mylar/Sab/Kavita

Post by evilhero »

The incoming folder being in the /comics path has no bearing on how mylar does things.

Because you're using docker, each docker is considered it's own environment, so you would need to enable the different computers option in mylar and point it to the location that sab downloads to (/downloads). Keeping the mapping the same for this aspect between containers simplifies things greatly - as long as they're the same and the user running mylar has full access to that sab download folder it will be able to move/delete from that directory as needed.

As for the import, using the series path option will tell Mylar that you don't want to move anything but use the given path provided as the final location for where your comics go. If you want to move items from /downloads to /comics then you would make sure that the import series paths is not enabled (and that move is enabled).

Keep I mind that import will only provide options for series that do not exist on your watchlist. If you wish to process files for which the series already exists on your watchlist you would use the manual post-processing option located in tab next to the import directory option.

Your best bet if you are doing the import anyways is to start from scratch with the db. Provided all you've done is just tried to import from /downloads, everything should still be there (if you manually added series, those would need to be readded after the fact). I'd shutdown mylar, delete the mylar db file (or rename it even), start mylar back up and try the import again, but with the import paths option not checked off. That should at least get you to a point where you can start using the software to add your existing series.