Optimum workflow to add comics to Mylar

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
perezmu

Optimum workflow to add comics to Mylar

Post by perezmu »

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the best way to import my existing comics into Mylar... I am using Mylar 2, but it would be great to get advice for Mylar 3 too.

I am having problems with the importing function, so I am looking at alternatives. My comics are either already tagged with a comicinfo.xml or in sorted in folders with cvinfo files.

What would work best?...

- Add series to Mylar by search/add
- Then... what do I do

a) use "postprocess" on my folders... Would Mylar read the metadata embedded in my files or the cvinfo files in my folders?

b) copy the files into Mylar's corresponding folder... if I do this, how do I make Mylar be aware of the new files and rename (postprocess) them?.

Thanks
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Optimum workflow to add comics to Mylar

Post by evilhero »

Your best bet for future sake is to start using Mylar3. The reason being that there are a tonne (and I mean literally a lot) of fixes/enhancements that have gone into Mylar3 that were never in Mylar2. Plus the importer has had some small fixes, but the big fix is coming for it hopefully sooner rather than later (I keep on getting distracted with other issues so it's taking longer to complete).

But, if you wanted to try with mylar2 still the import process would remain the same more or less. If you manually add series to your watchlist, you'd have to as you mention do it either of those ways.

- With "postprocess" on the folders, Mylar does not read the existing metadata within the file during post-processing. It relies on filename parsing and the fact that the given series is currently on your watchlist. It will then retag the file during post-processing if you have that option enabled and/or rename (again you can turn this off even temporarily until you're done post-processing stuff).

- if you copy the files into the folders, you would need to do a ReCheck Files for each series, so that the Status would show as Downloaded.Once that status exists within Mylar then it knows it's there and you have other options available (metatag/rename via batches/individually).

There are of course some shortcuts you can do as well. If you set your Comic Location path to the root of where your comics are, and if they're somewhat sensibly named ( you can fudge the folder format so that it might mimic your existing structure). If the folder location exists already (and is detected by Mylar as valid), when you add a series it would automatically scan the given folder and have your issues already in a Downloaded state.

But again, moving to Mylar3 would be the step that would allow us to help out more since that's the version we're primarily supporting at this stage.
perezmu

Re: Optimum workflow to add comics to Mylar

Post by perezmu »

Many thanks for the very detailed answer.

I am trying (hard) to move into Mylar3, but I am limited to docker, and I am having a weird problem... the container seems to see the config.ini file as read-only, and it does not save my changes to conf... I am still troubleshooting this, but it is weird, because permissions ( both in the container and in the host) for the config.ini file seem to be correct... they are in fact the same that mylar.db... and mylar.db is correctly written :(