Non-usenet Mylar setups

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
Nich

Non-usenet Mylar setups

Post by Nich »

I have a few friends that're interested in Mylar, but don't already use usenet (it powers most of my stack), and while I can get mylar installed and running on their machines relatively quickly, but I have no idea how to actually get it working via torrents.

I get a vague sense of how it works via reading the readme, but am not sure in practice how to set it up, given they're probably using utorrent/qbtorrent, and a big public tracker. I have some public trackers working on my system via Jackett hiding behind Hydra (for manual searches only), but no idea how to set it up with, say, torrents-only (or any other method that's free), so they can just have it fetch new comics for them every week.
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Non-usenet Mylar setups

Post by evilhero »

For non-usenet setups, your best best is to make sure that you include the DDL option regardless of anything else - that just downloads via the tyipcal http protocol, so nothing fancy or needed to setup. For most people this is just a given to use, however if you're trying it on a Wednesday the download speeds will be significantly lower than normal (You can view your DDL downloads via the Manage tab / Mange DDL)

Torrents are just the same idea as usenet, only under a different name. You need to setup the torrent client within Mylar and make sure it can connect. Then as far as providers there's only 2 options thus far - 32P, and the torznab option. In your friends cases, you would have to have their jacket info given in the torznab option (since you use torznabs for jackett info - so url, apikey, etc). You just need to supply the correct torznab url from jackett (since jackett assigns urls based on the what the provider's are, or a one-for-all one I believe). And that's it really. Just a word of warning, public trackers aren't the most reliable name-wise for Mylar to match against, save for maybe one in particular. If someone posts a torrent with the name of something like '[ComicName] - [ALL issues + Annuals]", Mylar won't be able to match it since the issue # isn't anywhere in that title, or the series in a recognizable location. If it's posted as what it actually is, odds of matching go significantly up.