Wanted Comics List??-UPDATE how to import .csv

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
KidVulcan79

Wanted Comics List??-UPDATE how to import .csv

Post by KidVulcan79 »

Hi, I'm new here so please excuse me if this question has already been answered elsewhere. I'm trying to set up a brand new, fresh, install of mylar on a different computer. I was wondering if there was a way to migrate my wanted comics list from the old mylar to the new one? I'm not trying to change directories or downloaded folders or repoint or any of that because I'm planning on starting a new directory fresh. All I am looking to do is simply retell mylar, in the simplest terms that I can, all of the comics that I would like for it to download without having to manually input each and every single one all over again. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you
Last edited by KidVulcan79 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
KidVulcan79

Re: Wanted Comics List??

Post by KidVulcan79 »

Hi, did I post this in the right place?
Anyway, an update. I found that within mylar’s gui there is an option to generate something called a wanted.csv (or something like that). Now, I’m not sure what a .csv file is but this is apparently a list of all my wanted comics (basically, what I was looking for). Now, I’m trying to figure out how to take this .csv file over to a different machine (where I have a clean/fresh install of Mylar) and import it??
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Wanted Comics List??-UPDATE how to import .csv

Post by evilhero »

You can't export your wanted list for a subsequent import into another copy of mylar, but you can export your entire watchlist and then import that so that all the series you're watching are identical between 2 installs. The actual wanted list however won't be identical save for the current week's pullist (definitely an enhancement that's needed in hindsight)

From a command line, with mylar not running, and from within the root of the mylar directory, type in :

Code: Select all

python Mylar.py maintenance -xj
This will create a .json file in the current directory which contains all of your series.

Then switch to your new install location and (with mylar not running), type in :

python Mylar.py maintenance - ij filename.json
Where filename.json is the full path to the json file exported above.

This will run and import the series while creating the directories (if required) beneath the comic location specified in the GUI (of the new install) with the required Folder Format as indicated within your config.

If you don't want it to create directories until it needs to, you an set the create_folders = False in the config.ini prior to running the import. It will still indicate in the GUI when viewing the series as to where it expects the issues for a series to be located, but will only create the directory as required.

Bear in mind that the import can take a while as it has to query CV for each series individually, but again its dependent on the amount of items in your watchlist.
KidVulcan79

Post by KidVulcan79 »

Hi. First off, thank you so much for such an AMAZING program :D I've been using it for years, though never attempted something like this before.
It took me quite some time just to figure out how to get from within the root of the mylar directory and then I got an error. I'm not sure what caused the error but I've attached a link to a screenshot hoping it might help. I'm thinking, and this is my bad as I never mentioned that the original mylar program is installed in OS X and the fresh install is on a PC running Windows 10 Home (part of the reason why I want to make the switch).
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FXkh6c4LNMUR8j6z5
KidVulcan79

Post by KidVulcan79 »

Last login: Sat Aug 25 02:29:26 on console
Users-iMac:~ Evan$ python /Applications/Mylar/Mylar.py maintenance -xj
log language set to en_US
usage: Mylar.py maintenance [-h] [-xj EXPORTJSON] [-id IMPORTDATABASE]
[-ij IMPORTJSON] [-st] [-u] [-fs]
Mylar.py maintenance: error: argument -xj/--exportjson: expected one argument
Users-iMac:~ Evan$ "

I don't understand what I keep on doing wrong
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Sorry that's my fault (trying to just go from memory) - you need to include the full path and filename to where you want the .json exported to as the last argument in the command.
KidVulcan79

Post by KidVulcan79 »

Hi, sorry but I'm still a little confused. So, if I wanted the JSON file to be named
wanted

and I'd like for the file to be located in
Users-iMac:~ Evan$ /Applications/Mylar
Then what is the command I should enter again
(I'm thinking it would be something like python Mylar.py maintenance -xj /wanted or something like that??
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

I'm doing this all from memory at this point (can't get to machine atm), but it should be something like:

python Mylar.py maintenance - xj /Applications/Mylar/wanted.json
Altho, it's not exactly a "wanted" list, but a "watchlist" list. I'm also not sure if you need to put the full path, but it obviously doesn't hurt. If you were to put just wanted.json it should put it in the current working directory (which is where you would have executed the command from), but I'm also not 100% sure of that.
KidVulcan79

Post by KidVulcan79 »

Hi,
Sorry that I've been away for so long but things have been crazy in the real world. Anyways, I wanted to thank you for all of your prompt responses! I was successfully able to export a Json file which I named watchlist. I then put it onto a thumb drive and moved the thumb drive to my PC. I copied the Json file from the thumb drive into my my mylar directory, which is located at C:\MYLAR. Then tried running the command using CMD but this is what came up

evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

There's no space between the - and the command (ie. it should be "-ij" not "- ij"). You might have to specify the full path to the json file as well, although not exactly positive it would work if you're in the current working directory.