Migrate DB from Windows to Ubutnu

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
DrSeussFreak

Migrate DB from Windows to Ubutnu

Post by DrSeussFreak »

I just configured a new Mylar instance on Ubuntu, and wanted to know if it is possible to migrate the DB and configs over?
"Adults are nothing but obsolete children, and the hell to them" - Theodor Seuss Geisel
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Migrate DB from Windows to Ubutnu

Post by evilhero »

You can migrate yes, but you have to enable some settings so the db can be converted properly to work on linux (as the path locations are stored in the db, they'll be referencing the incorrect links and then your series won't be located and everything would go into an Archived status).

The key in the below steps is to make sure you don't change the comic location from the previous location until after the locmove has successfully completed. It's required because it needs to be able to find the previous location path within the db entries in order to replace them with the new entry. The link for instructions is here.

The only other setting to look at is the FFTONEWCOM_DIR setting. It is used only if you're wanting to alter your subdirectory paths (meaning if an original location was F:\Comics\Superhero (2016), it could be altered at this stage to F:\Comics\Marvel\Superhero (2016), if you had your folder format string in the GUI set to $Publisher\$Series $Year kinda format PRIOR to starting the db migration). If your series subdirectories are already set up, and/or you don't want to change the layout just the initial comic location leave the FFTONEWCOM_DIR option not set/as is.

Just a note too, from what I can remember do not put a trailing slash on the newcom_dir folder - doing so will create a double-slash in your path, which will still work fine - but aesthetically not very pleasing.
DrSeussFreak

Post by DrSeussFreak »

If I already used the "F:\Comics\Marvel\Superhero (2016)" format, do I need to set fftonewcom_dir to true?

Also, what do I need to copy over? Just the *db and config.ini, or anything else as well?
"Adults are nothing but obsolete children, and the hell to them" - Theodor Seuss Geisel
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

DrSeussFreak wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:34 pm If I already used the "F:\Comics\Marvel\Superhero (2016)" format, do I need to set fftonewcom_dir to true?

Also, what do I need to copy over? Just the *db and config.ini, or anything else as well?
Well it wouldn't hurt - I mean it's not going to do anything destructive as far as your actual directory structure, this is all occuring just in the db alone. So set the fftonewcom_dir to true, and make sure your folder_format is in the correct format that you want (since it will use that when re-creating the paths in the db), plus the added benefit of doing that is that the slashes should be in the correct orientation for the new OS, as opposed to the Windows slashes (Mylar tries to account for the slashes being different, but forcing it via fftonewcom_dir seems like a safer approach).

I would make sure you have a backup .db copy before doing this just to be safe. That way if the paths don't work out properly, you can start over with the same db and try it without the fftonewcom_dir setting being used.

As far as copying over, the mylar.db, config.ini and the entire cache directory (as that holds all your images for the series). You should also make sure that your paths have all been adjusted to the correct location within the config.ini prior to starting up (except for the Destination_Dir as mentioned above), just in case something fires off and things start trying to 'fix' things to the new paths before they're properly set.
DrSeussFreak

Post by DrSeussFreak »

Brilliance, I am now up and running on Ubuntu! 1 less Windows app running :)

Thanks