Moving from Mac to Raspbian Jessie

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
barbequesauce

Moving from Mac to Raspbian Jessie

Post by barbequesauce »

Hi there -

I'm in the process of moving my HTPC setup from an iMac to a pair of RPi's based on Raspbian Jessie. Can I just lift my Mylar settings and database and drop it on the new machine? Or is a conversion needed? Obviously paths are different, but I'm hoping they are all in the config file and changing there will not mess up the database...

Thanks in advance
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Moving from Mac to Raspbian Jessie

Post by evilhero »

barbequesauce wrote:Hi there -

I'm in the process of moving my HTPC setup from an iMac to a pair of RPi's based on Raspbian Jessie. Can I just lift my Mylar settings and database and drop it on the new machine? Or is a conversion needed? Obviously paths are different, but I'm hoping they are all in the config file and changing there will not mess up the database...

Thanks in advance
Wow, sorry I missed this - not quite sure how, but I did :/

If you're dropping onto different filesystems and the locations of the comics will be different (if you're switching OS' this will be a given) - then you'll need to update the db locations so that Mylar knows where the series have moved to. I'll try and outline what you probably should try to do so things work on the new machine:
- Backup your config.ini, mylar.db and cache folders.
- Install mylar on the new machine (preferably using git as then you shouldn't have any problems updating within the app)
- move all the backed up files onto the new machine and overwrite any existing files
- edit the config.ini and make sure to update all the path locations to point to your new setup. Do not edit the destination_dir location just yet - this is an important step in migrating across devices.
- once you've changed all the paths, find the following lines in the config (locmove, newcom_dir and fftonewcom_dir) and then edit them as follows:
--- locmove should be set to 1 as this point. This is the switch that tells mylar you're wanting to update your db paths and it does it on startup. Once the db paths have been updated, Mylar will reset this to 0.
--- newcom_dir is the full path location where your comics will now reside. This has to be different than the destination_dir location (which is basically your Comic Location path in the GUI), and of course if it wasn't different - you wouldn't need to be doing all of this in the first place ;)
--- fftonewcom_dir is either 0/1 for disabled/enabled. This should be used when you have extra formatting in your folder path that would include subdirectories (ie. you have your folder format set to $Publisher/$Series ($Year) - OR - if you want to change the folder structure to a new format such as with the $Publisher parent directory, or something similar. Note that this won't physically touch your series at all - it just updates the paths within the db so Mylar knows where to find them. It will however create the directories if they don't exist on a Refresh of an existing series, during a pull-update when it has to make sure the issues are present, or when adding a new series.
- Once you've edited those files, save the config and startup Mylar. If you start Mylar with the -v switch, you should see the updating of the paths in the log files as to what it was previously and what it changed it to. Otherwise, if you don't use the -v switch on startup, you'll just get a notification that it updated X many of series to a new path in the logs.

Hope that helps!
barbequesauce

Post by barbequesauce »

Worked like a charm!

Thanks!
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Awesome!

One thing I forgot to mention, once the paths in the dB have been fixed to the right locations, make sure to change the comic location in the GUI to point to your new location path - otherwise any new series adds (or possibly even refreshes) will put the series location for the given series back to your original location you just migrated from ;)