Story Arcs for existing comics?

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
arrabiki

Story Arcs for existing comics?

Post by arrabiki »

Hi all,

I'm not sure if i'm understanding the "story arcs" feature correctly - I'm using the feature for the first time, so i went to the story arc management page, added "Fear Itself" (as an example), and it populates the issues in the list. However, some of the issues that are in the story arc that i already have in my library are listed as either "skipped" or "none", even after clicking "update". I'm not using the "copy to story arc folder" feature, as i don't want to have two copies of every comic or symlinks everywhere - i simply want to use the feature more as a "checklist" to make sure i have all the issues in the arc (and then just import a CBL into comicrack to read them separately). Is this use case possible, or does the downloaded status only populate if the comic is in the "story arc" folder?

Thanks!
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Story Arcs for existing comics?

Post by evilhero »

Well it should be populating the issues status directly against your watchlist if it exists - and if it doesn't then it checks against a story arc dir if the option is enabled (to store in an arc directory). It does this initial populating when you first add the arc, as well as when you do a refresh of the arc.

It links it directly by comicid so if it's not matching up to what you have in your watchlist, it might be because that's not what it's expecting (ie. You're watching a few tpb's instead of the actual issue-based series).

Can you provide a screenshot or more Information on what issues aren't updating the status accordingly? I'd need to know what the series are on your watchlist that it's supposed to be matching up to (the comicid would help in that case).
arrabiki

Post by arrabiki »

Here's a screenshot of the Story Arc management page for the "Fear Itself" storyline:
http://imgur.com/2qBeI0r

And here's a shot of the series page for the actual "Fear Itself" comic (part of the storyline):
http://imgur.com/1EPEhxZ

As you can see at some point between my last post and now (after clicking "update" and refreshing the story arc) it marked those issues as "snatched", but even after refreshign again it didn't mark those issues as downloaded. It looks like the comicID is correct, since when i click on "fear itself" in the story arc page, it links me to the page for the individual issues in the first screenshot.
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Yeah that's not normal at all - it should be updating it to the correct status, especially after a Refresh of the Arc.

I'll look into this abit more this afternoon and see what I can come up...the problem with the arcs themselves is that they're so dependent on various bits of data to be there that it has gathered from other methods (because CV doesn't really provide alot of arc information that's required), that if one were to fail or not correctly update something, it fails later down the line - so I'll try and use your exact scenario that you provided to see if I can replicate the issue, and then troubleshoot from that point since that would be the best method.

I'll update this if/when I find out something more ;)
arrabiki

Post by arrabiki »

Thanks for looking into it! If you need me to test anything, feel free to let me know.
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

I'll have the fix going into dev before the end of the night (I need to patch an item before I commit it up).

I fixed the status, so it will update on a refresh of the arc (if it's not an issue that's post-processed, as during post-processing it will do that if applicable). I'm going to see if I can get it to update the status when the watchlist issue gets updated instead of having to do a manual refresh, as that would be the ideal solution so as to keep everything in sync.
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Ok, fix is now in development (commit 4630a5b).

I'm pretty sure the issue status for the arcs won't refresh on their own, so you might have to do a 'Refresh' in order to get things back on track (or even a 'Search for Watchlisted matches' which would be quicker since it doesn't have to refresh the arc to pull down new issues if it's already an Ended arc).
arrabiki

Post by arrabiki »

Thanks for the quick turnaround! I just pulled the update and can confirm that everything works peachy now i did a "search watchlist" and everything i had already downloaded immediately went green.

Any chance we can get a link to "story arcs" on the main mylar homescreen? The feature works so well now it's a shame to have to dig through the manage screen to get to it.
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

It's coming.. I need to reshuffle alot of stuff in order to get it on the main tabs, but yes it will be there at some point soon hopefully ;)