Importing comics question(s)

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
Aimhere

Importing comics question(s)

Post by Aimhere »

Hi,

I have a bunch of comics that I've never gotten around to organizing. Currently, they're all grouped into batches roughly corresponding to the dates I got them, and their filenames are all over the map. I'd like to rename them to a standard format, sort them into publisher/series folders, and add them to my Mylar library. I know Mylar can do this via the "Manage/Scan comic library" feature.

But I need to know, what happens if one or more of the issues happen to be duplicates of ones I already have? Does Mylar retain the original comic from my library, or overwrite it with the newly-imported comic? Or does it offer me a choice of which one to keep on a case-by-case basis? I've never used the import feature, so I'm a bit leery of running it on a big batch of comics without getting an answer first.

I was also considering the option of renaming-and-sorting the comics outside of Mylar, then importing them once I'm happy with the results. Does anyone know of a good program (for Windows) that will look up all the issues online (e.g. ComicVine), make sure the series/volume names and numbering are all correct, and sort them into the appropriate folders?

Anyone?
Aimhere

Re: Importing comics question(s)

Post by Aimhere »

No comments on this?
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Importing comics question(s)

Post by evilhero »

Not any comments, just life getting in the way of the hobby ;)
Aimhere wrote:
But I need to know, what happens if one or more of the issues happen to be duplicates of ones I already have? Does Mylar retain the original comic from my library, or overwrite it with the newly-imported comic? Or does it offer me a choice of which one to keep on a case-by-case basis? I've never used the import feature, so I'm a bit leery of running it on a big batch of comics without getting an answer first.
The Import/Scan feature will only work with series that do not exist on your watchlist. If you have issues that are duplicates within the import directory, Mylar will try to retain based on your filesize/filetype settings, but since the issues haven't been scanned in to a Downloaded status it doesn't really have an exact indication of if the file being retained is the correct one or not even.

That's why there has to be a little organization on your part in that regards - removing the duplicates/crap files of stuff you don't want and then just running the import sequence on the remaining files should provide you with the end organization that you want. If your files are named something like 'Punisher 5.cbr', you're going to be doing work in renaming the files or at the very least selecting the Manual Intervention option within the importer and then manually selecting the series from a list.

Note that the development build has several fixes to the importer that has not hit the master branch (and a few that are in the pipe, that might not make it into the next merge seeing as how they haven't been tested, but are being implemented to fix a few troublesome bugs of the import process).