Question about folder organization

Information and Tutorials on features in Mylar and how to use it
Warborg

Question about folder organization

Post by Warborg »

I know I have a ton of questions, but I have a huge digital comic collection right now and they are pretty important to me, so I'm really interested in Mylars functions...

In my current way of organizing, I have a main folder for the publisher, and then a sub folder for the general subject (such as just the hero/group name like "Iron Man") and then subfolders with all the various volumes, mini series, one-shots, etc... Is it possible to do something like this in Mylar? Example:

Marvel
Iron Man
Iron Man - Legacy
Iron Man v1
Iron Man v2

Also, does Mylar handle one shots/graphic novels/etc?
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Question about folder organization

Post by evilhero »

Warborg wrote:I know I have a ton of questions, but I have a huge digital comic collection right now and they are pretty important to me, so I'm really interested in Mylars functions...

In my current way of organizing, I have a main folder for the publisher, and then a sub folder for the general subject (such as just the hero/group name like "Iron Man") and then subfolders with all the various volumes, mini series, one-shots, etc... Is it possible to do something like this in Mylar? Example:

Marvel
Iron Man
Iron Man - Legacy
Iron Man v1
Iron Man v2

You can't define directory hierarchy by character, but you can by publisher. So you could set your Folder Format as $Publisher/$Series $VolumeN ($Year), which would result in :
Marvel /
Iron Man v1 (2011)
Iron Man v2 (2013)
etc...

The $Character tag has been requested before, but due to the way that CV tracks this type of data (main problem being groups) - it makes it a bit difficult to try and account for all the variations. I might have to look into this some more though to see if it's an easier process now....
Mylar will handle one-shots if they're designated as having an issue # within ComicVine. Normally however, GN's/TPB's won't work fully - either they can get added fine, but then can't get tracked, or they can get searched for (via the weekly pull list one-off option), but then fail during other parts of the process. This will get implemented at some point in the future, but the whole 'must have an issue #' has been present since the very inception of Mylar - so changing everything in the backend to allow for GN's/TPBs, etc is a huge task to undertake from a coding perspective since it's one of the few things about an issue that is constant throughout the program.
Warborg

Post by Warborg »

Changed the folder name string and it seems to be working... A suggestion for a change in the code though is that if there is no volume number for it to filter it out entirely as it shows up as "noversion" in the directory name which is a bit unsightly...
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Yes that's a bug, but it's also due to the data limitations that exist with CV.

If you were to use $VersionY you would never see the noversion as there will always be a year attached to a series on CV.

Volume though is determined by Mylar based on the description of the series on CV - and a lot of times there isn't enough information for mylar to figure out the volume label in that type of format.

Will be fixed in the next development commit regardless tho
Warborg

Post by Warborg »

Thanks... It wasn't really a big deal, not complaining or anything... I just wanted to throw it out there just in case it was a bug or whatnot.