[Question] Do you accept pull requests on Github?

Enhancement requests or feature requests for future Mylar releases.
wyldphyre

[Question] Do you accept pull requests on Github?

Post by wyldphyre »

This isn't intended as an "accept my pull request" prompt, rather a question to satisfy my curiosity

I submitted a pull request, but then I noticed there were some outstanding requests from a while back, and I realised I have no idea (nor can I find any indication) of whether or not you actually accept pull requests. :lol:

Love your work so far.

Cheers

Edit: I just realised that the 71 closed pull requests on Github probably answered my question with a "yes", so I think I managed to answer my own question. I'll leave this here in case anyone else runs into the same blindness I did :roll:
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: [Question] Do you accept pull requests on Github?

Post by evilhero »

Hah, yes I obviously enjoy getting pull requests as much as I do a good, hot cup of coffee in the morning :)

The complications come when it's a big PR, or one of the big modules gets altered. As normally I'm constantly working on various things outside of git, so doing a PR in the middle sometimes screws up things, so I have to wait until I finish the section being altered and merge things into my local repo to make sure it doesn't break things

Your PR is a really easy one, so I'll probably merge it by Friday at the latest, if not sooner. You also probably already guessed this, but always submit a PR against the development branch as then it can get tested out before hitting the master branch.

PR's are always welcome and very much appreciated - as long as the structure of how mylar operates doesn't get changed, I usually dont have any problems merging them. Don't let the timing discourage future PR's!
wyldphyre

Post by wyldphyre »

Thanks for the reply and clarification.

If I do find myself making any more changes they probably won't be big ones. I'm a windows dev by trade, so I don't know enough about how this stuff works to do anything drastic yet (probably not for some time). It's mostly that I'd like to contribute something to the project.

Cheers
wyldphyre

Post by wyldphyre »

On a related note, if I'm running Mylar from a clone of the dev branch, when does it's update check detect a new version? Or does that not work in that scenario?

If updating doesn't work when in a git clone I might go back to running from source.
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

wyldphyre wrote:On a related note, if I'm running Mylar from a clone of the dev branch, when does it's update check detect a new version? Or does that not work in that scenario?

If updating doesn't work when in a git clone I might go back to running from source.
It should be working regardless of how it was initially installed at this point - git clone is the normal preferred way to update, as it uses git to do the updating (whereas source downloads the new tarball and then extracts/overwrites as necessary).

If you did modify your cloned copy (meaning you edited some .py files), then you wouldn't be able to update regardless if from source/git. This is because you have local changes that have been done and github will warn stating that you need to either stash (simply 'git stash' from within the mylar directory) or merge your changes. If you stash your changes, it will revert back to the last commit that was grabbed on your local repo - running mylar and doing the update then will most likely succeed without any further issues. If you want to put your 'changes' back into the latest after you stashed and updated, then you just need to issue a 'git stash apply' from within the mylar directory and it will merge your changes back into the newest commit that you just updated to.

Mylar should be checking every 6hrs, or less/more depending on if you manually modified the setting (check_git_interval in the config.ini given in minutes).