Ability to actually set search timings

Enhancement requests or feature requests for future Mylar releases.
Offspring

Ability to actually set search timings

Post by Offspring »

Right now the amount of time taken that Mylar automatically searches is something like 3600 minutes at a minimum. I've set it as low as it'll go through the UI, but looking at the .py settings I can see that it's set to much, much higher than that and I'd like to actually be able to control how often I'm searching for new comics. I understand it could hammer sites, so maybe it could be thrown under an advanced settings JS applet or something, but it'd be nice to actually be able to control how often it searches as opposed to choosing a number, and then having it multiplied by 3600.
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Ability to actually set search timings

Post by evilhero »

Offspring wrote:Right now the amount of time taken that Mylar automatically searches is something like 3600 minutes at a minimum. I've set it as low as it'll go through the UI, but looking at the .py settings I can see that it's set to much, much higher than that and I'd like to actually be able to control how often I'm searching for new comics. I understand it could hammer sites, so maybe it could be thrown under an advanced settings JS applet or something, but it'd be nice to actually be able to control how often it searches as opposed to choosing a number, and then having it multiplied by 3600.
Well actually it's 360 minutes by default (6 hours), so if you have something different or much higher, then you might have something incorrect entered into the actual field itself. What does the value state in your config.ini and what does the search/pause say when you do a Force Search? (It usually says 'Initiating search at requested interval of 360 minutes' or something)

On a much related note, I'm actually debating doing away with the auto-search in the way it is now as it's a waste of resources and more specifically time, but it's a bit radical in it's approach to users that have been using sickbeard/cp/headphones:

If you look at the way Sonarr searches, it uses the RSS Feeds and only does backlog searches on a forced basis. The basis being that if you do a 'Force Search' at 1:00pm you've done both an RSS/API search set. Now unless providers have been changed, doing a Force Search @ 3:00pm (2 hours later) isn't going to change anything as the results being returned will be identical to what was done at 1pm so long as the RSS feeds were being monitored during that 2 hour difference (which by default they hit every 20 minutes, which is usually more then enough to capture things). Taking the logic further, searching even 24 hours later, if the search providers haven't been altered, would yield no different results from the API (only difference would be the newly uploaded stuff) - but the RSS feeds would have been continually monitoring things every 20 minutes during that 24 hours.

This approach can be applied to comics in the sense that the only time it would do a backlog search (or Force Search if you will), is when a new series is added to your watchlist and you have an option enabled to perform a backlog search for missing issues, or you add a new search provider, or you actually do the Force Search option. In this way, your API hits go way down, you're not continually hammering the search sites looking for the same thing over and over again when it will never find it if it doesn't find it the first time (except with the rss feeds), and having a HUGE list of Wanted issues wouldn't take near as long to process stuff (I've seen Wanted lists over 300 items, and it would take a very long time to just search for those as it was one search every 60s, plus searching for issue padding, and alternate search names it would seem to go on forever).
Offspring

Re: Ability to actually set search timings

Post by Offspring »

That makes sense. I'll look at my config later, but yeah, my want list is well over 300 and I can tell you it takes forever.