Support for "Series Group" tag

Enhancement requests or feature requests for future Mylar releases.
Lasborg

Support for "Series Group" tag

Post by Lasborg »

Hi Evilhero

thought I would write here as opposed to at github as this is a feature request.

As you know I have now imported all my comics into mylar and got everything set up nicely.
But it also means that the mylar main page is 36 pages long and it is quite hard to get an overview.

For example I have more than 30 different B.P.R.D. series and don't get me started on Transformers comics there are more than 70.

When I manage my comics in Comicrack I use the "Series Group" tag to box up multiple series for easier overview (and it makes syncing series to my ipad a lot more convenient as I can just sync unread comics from the B.P.R.D. "series group", to always have the newest series ready to read, no matter if Dark Horse subdivide them into individually named series.

It would be nice if Mylar could support this tag. I imagine that it could be set on a per series basis on the Edit Settings tab of a comic below the volume number field (. This would fix my need to do the tagging later in comicrack.

Maybe it would be possible to get an extra optional column in the Mylar homepage displaying "Series Group".
Maybe it could even the possibility to show just series group and see for example how many missing/downloaded of the total series in a "series group"

Well that is just some ideas that could improve my life with Mylar.

Keep up the good work.
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Support for "Series Group" tag

Post by evilhero »

Wow - really, really sorry for the lack of a response on this. I thought I had responded to this months ago, but I guess it never took for some reason. But I'll answer the Q's now ;)

I'll look into the 'Series Group' option. Since it would be a custom field within CT, the mylar base would have to be slightly modified to accommodate the setting, which isn't a big deal - but the naming itself might provide some problems, but it's probably doable based on my quick fiddling with previous CT related problems.

I do like the grouping aspect on the main page, but given that Mylar uses datatables and the GUI is a heavily modified version from headphones base, it won't support it out of the gate. I'll have to look into the grouping aspect within datatables to see if it's even doable given what Mylar can use - so I won't say no, but maybe just a 'it might take me awhile, but it's something I'll try to do...'
Lasborg

Re: Support for "Series Group" tag

Post by Lasborg »

Thanks for looking into it.

Don't be sorry for not responding. Even if I've grown accustomed to your super fast responses over on github.

I have another great argument use for the need of the series group tag.
As I have already stated Dark Horse and IDW tends to give books "sub titles" instead of just story arcs titles. which is annoying both in the underlying file structure and in Mylar.
What is even more annoying is when a series makes the "sub title" the main title, I have seen this especially with trades.
One example you could pull up is the bunch of Calvin and Hobbes books which does not have "Calvin and Hobbes" in the title, and he only easy way to find them is sort by publisher - and that is only If you do not have many more books from the same publisher.

Another use is for the Hawkeye series of recent years, which is the same continuity (more or less). I have a series group of Hawkeye which contains Hawkeye (2012), All-New Hawkeye (2015), All-New Hawkeye (2016) and the now running Hawkeye (2017).