StoryArc grabbing enhancements

Enhancement requests or feature requests for future Mylar releases.
darknessgp

StoryArc grabbing enhancements

Post by darknessgp »

If these are already things that exist, please let me know...

1. Option to allow packs when grabbing a storyarc issue? Now, some times I'm grabbing a whole story arc where all the issues of a comic is in the story arc, so why not optionally allow grabbing them all?

2. Option to copy or move (maybe two options present) issues that exist elsewhere into the storyarc folder. I love that it creates a folder with the arc order prepended to the issue and for me, it's ideal to have a single folder for the story arc with the issues in order by filename. I utilize ubooquity to read them remotely, so this is why it's ideal. While it's nice seeing I have the issue downloaded, I'd prefer to have a copy of the whole story arc in one folder... And I'd love the option to move the files, because sometimes I've previously grabbed a storyarc pack that I'm basically importing into mylar and don't need all the issues spread out elsewhere.

3. I've noticed when telling mylar to grab an issue for a story arc that it updates the issue as wanted, but it does not appear on my wanted list? Is this because I don't have the associated series? Maybe this is more of a bug.
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: StoryArc grabbing enhancements

Post by evilhero »

1. Option to allow packs when grabbing a storyarc issue? Now, some times I'm grabbing a whole story arc where all the issues of a comic is in the story arc, so why not optionally allow grabbing them all?
Because alot depends on the site / provider that the arc would be grabbed from pack wise. Even 32P, for which Mylar offers pack-support currently, probably doesn't have the correct endpoint mapped to allow for proper searching of the arc itself. And that's on a comic-only site. Other sites that contain comics, would label the torrents to some god-awful naming convention for an arc that would make it almost impossible to parse out properly what is in it (with 32P, Mylar actually knows each file that's in the pack and then marks said issue as Snatched if it's in the pack when it's snatched initially). Grabbing a pack isn't just as simple as just adding an option to allow for the pack grabbing - especially when you start involving different types of providers and how they relay the information about said packs back to the client (nzb packs for example could be problematic as the nzbs aren't universal across the board). I can see this working for 32P, as it does for series-packs now, albeit it would take alot of testing to ensure things work given how the arcs are currently handled.
2. Option to copy or move (maybe two options present) issues that exist elsewhere into the storyarc folder. I love that it creates a folder with the arc order prepended to the issue and for me, it's ideal to have a single folder for the story arc with the issues in order by filename. I utilize ubooquity to read them remotely, so this is why it's ideal. While it's nice seeing I have the issue downloaded, I'd prefer to have a copy of the whole story arc in one folder... And I'd love the option to move the files, because sometimes I've previously grabbed a storyarc pack that I'm basically importing into mylar and don't need all the issues spread out elsewhere.
I'm not sure if this is even feasible with the way Mylar currently handles story arc processing. I mean, the issues are already in a single folder for the specific story arc This might get handled if/when I can get around to adding the hardlinking aspect into Mylar, but hardlinking only works when all the links are on the same drive. But adding an option to move/copy a storyarc during post-processing/adding would add another level of complexity into the mix that I honestly don't think alot of users would take advantage of, and would probably end up causing alot of confusion/problems for some. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just I'm not sure how it would get implemented without causing a complete rework of the existing story arc system, and when that happens there's going to be issues just due to reworking things.
3. I've noticed when telling mylar to grab an issue for a story arc that it updates the issue as wanted, but it does not appear on my wanted list? Is this because I don't have the associated series? Maybe this is more of a bug.
Not a bug, more of a design flaw. With arcs, it's a one off Wanted marking. So when it gets marked as Wanted it will search the one time and then just keep the status as being Wanted. So when you do a Search for all Missing Issues it performs a Force Search again on all of the issues in a Skipped / Wanted status. And you have to do this each and every time you want to search for said issues. The difference being that if the issue exists on an arc and is discovered during post-processing, the file gets copied into both the series and arc directory. The main reason for it not appearing on the Wanted list is because the Wanted list for alot of people has become almost unmanageable and takes a great deal of time to get through them when it does run. I plan on introducing a leveled wanted list based on date in the near future, where after 2 weeks of active searching for an item, if it's not found it goes to a lower level tier search that searches for the items but on a much less frequent schedule that the main level would be (might designate by colours, or by actual wording - not sure atm). When I get around to doing this, is when I'll make the decision about where to put the arc wanted issues. Either they'll get their own sub-tab on the Wanted list, or they'll be included on the same list - again, it's more of just how to group everything so it works for the majority, because there's always going to be someone that wants it a different way.
darknessgp

Post by darknessgp »

I'm not sure if this is even feasible with the way Mylar currently handles story arc processing. I mean, the issues are already in a single folder for the specific story arc This might get handled if/when I can get around to adding the hardlinking aspect into Mylar, but hardlinking only works when all the links are on the same drive. But adding an option to move/copy a storyarc during post-processing/adding would add another level of complexity into the mix that I honestly don't think alot of users would take advantage of, and would probably end up causing alot of confusion/problems for some. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just I'm not sure how it would get implemented without causing a complete rework of the existing story arc system, and when that happens there's going to be issues just due to reworking things.
Maybe I think I explained poorly or worded it badly... So I'll go to really my current issue with storyarcs. I have my library completely in Mylar. Then I add a storyarc that has issues across approximately 20 series... I see that mylar marks issues I already have as downloaded in the storyarc, but these issues do not get copied to the storyarc folder. That's really my main problem right now.

Secondary is that I may only want issues to exist in the storyarc folder and not create series folders for 20+ series when I just want the specific issues for that storyarc and them all in the storyarc folder so I can read the arc.

This is where I used the idea of copy/move. If an issue is already in mylar and it says that it's downloaded but it's not in the storyarc folder, I'd just like a way to at least copy it into that folder and rename for storyarc order.
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Mylar does copy files that are in a downloaded status on your watchlist already to the story arc folder on adding / refreshing. You do need to have the copy to story arc option enabled on the main story arc page in order to use the option however. Once the arc is added you might have to verify that the copy to arc folder is enabled in the specific arc screen as it then becomes an individual arc option (instead of a global one when initially adding an arc).