Small CBZ filesizes with .webp compression

Enhancement requests or feature requests for future Mylar releases.
JasonSims

Small CBZ filesizes with .webp compression

Post by JasonSims »

I've always advocated PDF's purely from a compression standpoint (being able to get a PDF about 40% smaller than a CBZ has always been a huge plus for me due to limited storage space). However, after discovering that Comic Rack (and likely many other CBZ/CBR readers) supports .webp images, I'm ready to depart from my antiquated ways. I was able to achieve 70% + compression without noticeable loss in quality and maintain the greater support for CBZ's! I have a huge back catalog that I'll be converting to CBZ's with webp compressed images. In the meantime, for the new downloads, I've written a rough post-processing script to unarchive, convert jpg to webp and rearchive. I'm pretty sure there are still variables I have not accounted for yet.

Would this functionality be something that could be integrated into Mylar proper? I was perusing through the comictagger python files to see if I found a logical spot for it, but I'm learning python on the fly to attempt any of it and as such it's a little intimidating.
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Small CBZ filesizes with .webp compression

Post by evilhero »

It' would probably have to be included somewhere either within the cmtagmylar module when it does the cbr-to-cbz conversion - either during that process (which is actually within the ComicTagger module), after it extracts the jpgs - if the option is enabled it could run/perform the conversion to webp, and then compress them all back up into the cbz and return back to Mylar as it does normally.

If you have the conversion script handy, if you post it or what you have I can help you integrate it or at least help work through the process with you so you can maybe learn a little bit about the integration within Mylar - since that's probably what you'd like to know as well ;)