Different site for list of new releases?

Enhancement requests or feature requests for future Mylar releases.
leaderdog

Re: Different site for list of new releases?

Post by leaderdog »

Hi Evilhero,

Just curious how this is coming along? If it looks promising or almost ready to roll out? :)

I've waited patiently so I hope it's ok to ask. haha

leaderdog
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

leaderdog wrote:Hi Evilhero,

Just curious how this is coming along? If it looks promising or almost ready to roll out? :)

I've waited patiently so I hope it's ok to ask. haha

leaderdog
Yep, it's been on a select test environment with a few individuals just to test how things work, timing, etc. This has been for almost the past month (roughly), but because of the pulls only happening once a week, the testing is often short lived.

It will be in the next development commit however as an added option to the alt_pull variable within the config.ini file (ie. alt_pull = 2).

These are the done(s) so far:
- It does away with hammering the CV site for updates save for when the issue is actually present on CV
- It handles all the Alternate naming and auto-converts the series that are named different to comicvine names.
- It already has the comicids (and issueids when available), and because of the auto-population of the comicids, when you add a series via the pullist it auto adds it directly with no searching.
- It also allows you to go up to 4 weeks in advance to views upcoming pullists.
- the 'intermediary' site updates against CV frequently and the results are available almost immediately.

The todos:
- upcoming pullists (not the current week) aren't marked as Wanted on the actual pullist
- the 'watch' option isn't working atm due to the change
- finer dB control on the intermediary site with some added value so that CV api hits can be even less.
- eventually hold independent issue data so that when mylar updates a series it just has to update to the newest issue instead of having to refresh the entire series against CV.

This was all possible initially due to the coffee fund, then went into a "let's see if we can do this, and this, and now this" kind of thing, et viola. As long as the intermediary doesn't die or caff from an overload, it should be a really good improvement from the current pull.

Note that if you don't want to use this option, the current pull methods still work just fine :)
leaderdog

Post by leaderdog »

Wow that sounds awesome! Great job.

One more thing I'm wondering if it is possible. Going to previous weeks. Say you're out of town on holidays or emergency etc, but you wanted to get the newer series, could you go back in time to pick a week that you missed. I know their site has that option.

I suppose that certainly isn't a high priority but would be handy non the less.

Thanks again and I look forward to this.
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Yes, that feature will eventually be there - atm, you can go forward/back a few weeks and the options should work for marking new series in the past (since that data is readily avaiable), just the future weeks would be problematic atm due to the lack of information available on CV - especially for #1's (which will get addressed when the 'watch' feature is fixed so that it watches for those series, since you can't add them to the watchlist without there being any CV info)
Telecart

Post by Telecart »

Out of curiosity (new here!) Did you end up using League of Comic Geeks data?
I'm still using pullist.comixology.com for my weekly rush to the LCS, as other sites have never been as comprehensive/consistent as comixology (though the pullist site is basically running on autopilot at this point I assume). Wondering if you've found them to be comprehensive vs. Diamond's csv list?
evilhero
Site Admin

Post by evilhero »

Telecart wrote:Out of curiosity (new here!) Did you end up using League of Comic Geeks data?
I'm still using pullist.comixology.com for my weekly rush to the LCS, as other sites have never been as comprehensive/consistent as comixology (though the pullist site is basically running on autopilot at this point I assume). Wondering if you've found them to be comprehensive vs. Diamond's csv list?
Yes, the option for LoCG data is available for usage within Mylar (in the development branch at least).

I'm not sure if they're more comprehensive than Diamond, but they do offer some things that Diamond doesn't offer (at least not without some heavy coding/parsing). With LoCG, you can go a few weeks in advance, as well as when issues are delayed/moved to a subsequent week it gets updated on the main list. As opposed to Diamond, where you can really only go one week in advance and the delay/move section on Diamond is a complete and utter horror to even try to understand. The layout of LoCG is far, far better obviously - it's meant for users to pull using graphical data from a web-browser, so it's built to support that kind of feel.

But the real reason, and the most requested, was the naming conventions. Diamond has a severe problem with short-forming/abbreviating series titles into some arcane title which has always caused problems with Mylar when it polls to find metadata/issue data against CV (which use the indicia titles in most cases). So to get around this, in Mylar there was a substitutes.csv file that allowed one to enter in an 'improper' way to name a title, and then have the proper naming so that Mylar could match it up properly. All of this was to get around Diamond and their naming. With LoCG, they follow a much, more consistent naming convention that seems to follow the indicia more closely (there are still a few obviously), plus they don't capitalize everything (ala Diamond's csv) so it makes for a much nicer view when viewing the pullist within Mylar ;)

An added benefit to using LoCG with proper naming conventions is that Mylar can match up titles better without having to rely on constantly querying against CV to see if a series is up-to-date. Now Mylar just hits the one site to see if an issue is available (and by that I mean that it has a CV ComicID, and IssueID attached) and then it update the weekly pull-list accordingly and force a refresh of the given series so that the issue data is displayed properly (again this is just with Mylar, but it's a huge perk to using the new method).

Hope that helps! :D
Telecart

Post by Telecart »

Amazing, thanks! I'll definitely look at them again for my weekly pull list!
Telecart

Post by Telecart »

BTW, did you take a look at these? There seems to be an XML feed, not sure if the format is usable

http://www.comiclistdatabase.com