Jump to comic

Enhancement requests or feature requests for future Mylar releases.
Aimhere

Jump to comic

Post by Aimhere »

Hi,

I'd like to see a quick way to jump to another comic when viewing the comic details pages.

Right now, the comic details pages have little left/right-arrow buttons to go to the previous/next comic in my list of titles, but using this is pretty tedious. The only other way to select a different title is to go back to the home page, but then I have to wait for the full page to load (which can be pretty slow on my NAS).

So, I was wondering if maybe a "Jump to comic" drop-down list (containing the full list of all comic titles in my collection) could be added on the details page next to the previous/next buttons? Then switching to a different comic would be as simple as clicking "Jump to comic" and selecting it from the list.

Aimhere
evilhero
Site Admin

Re: Jump to comic

Post by evilhero »

Aimhere wrote:Hi,

I'd like to see a quick way to jump to another comic when viewing the comic details pages.

Right now, the comic details pages have little left/right-arrow buttons to go to the previous/next comic in my list of titles, but using this is pretty tedious. The only other way to select a different title is to go back to the home page, but then I have to wait for the full page to load (which can be pretty slow on my NAS).

So, I was wondering if maybe a "Jump to comic" drop-down list (containing the full list of all comic titles in my collection) could be added on the details page next to the previous/next buttons? Then switching to a different comic would be as simple as clicking "Jump to comic" and selecting it from the list.

Aimhere
It's possible, but it also brings with it some more problematic issues - namely when a user adds a new series and the webpage is loading the new content, the drop-down display would have to be able to either not show the current page, or temporarily disable it (as then it might cause some other errors). That and the general loading time might increase as then it has to load the information for all the comics in your watchlist to display - right now it just loads the information for the previous and next series.

I might look into this when I get some more time, but I'm not sure right now of how it's going to go (I'm honest)...
Aimhere

Re: Jump to comic

Post by Aimhere »

evilhero wrote: It's possible, but it also brings with it some more problematic issues - namely when a user adds a new series and the webpage is loading the new content, the drop-down display would have to be able to either not show the current page, or temporarily disable it (as then it might cause some other errors). That and the general loading time might increase as then it has to load the information for all the comics in your watchlist to display - right now it just loads the information for the previous and next series.

I might look into this when I get some more time, but I'm not sure right now of how it's going to go (I'm honest)...
Okay, I hope you do. The manager I use for TV shows (SickRage, itself a fork of SickBeard) has a drop-down for switching series as I described, I was just hoping you could implement something similar for Mylar.

I wouldn't mind if it increased the loading time a bit, it can't be any worse than clicking the Mylar logo to completely reload the homepage (with the list of series)... in fact, I'd wager it would be faster, as it would be a simple text-based HTML drop-down list, and probably would take far less processing than goes into generating, formatting, and displaying the homepage.

As for the part about interfering with other processing, like the loading of new series, I can see how that would be a problem. (Still, it must be possible to work out a solution. All I can say is, you could find the code for SickRage on Github and see how they do it.)

Aimhere